Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Once again, rolling along the Rutland.

Date: 01/29/19 23:16
Once again, rolling along the Rutland.
Author: moonliter

Last month when my wife and I drove to Ogdensburg in order to pick-up my eBay wins we lucked in and caught the New York & Ogdensburg train departing from town.  Yesterday we made another 54 mile run from Ottawa for the same reason; the only difference was we left earlier.  Because of a snow storm there were no lineups at the US border or the UPS Store in Ogdensburg.  After my wife picked up a few items at Price Choppers we were off to the Port of Ogdensburg to see what was there.  We were in luck, the train had just arrived.

Photo 1:  Different power this time.  Vermont Railway's GP18 number 801 handled the switching duties at the port this time.  801 was build by EMD for the TP&W in April 1961. This model was not sold in Canada so I was happy to see one in the flesh.

Photo 2: The port seems to be quite busy there days, there were about 20 railcars being shunted and a steady flow of trucks of various sizes coming and going.  In the past I saw wind turbines being trans-shipped from a ship to trucks and railcars.

Photo 3:  That is Canada on the other side of the bridge.  The cars by the shore belong to the ice fishermen.  I'm sure the brakeman hanging on the end of the covered hopper wished he was in one of those cozy and warm fisherman's huts sitting on the frozen river. 

Looking at the windswept frozen river reminded me of the story of Franz von Werra, a German POW.   After jumping from a moving train just outside of Smiths Falls,ON on the night of January 21-22, 1941, he hitched -hiked  to the north shore of the St Lawrence River; after a few attempts he finally  made across the river to then neutral USA at Ogdensburg. He was the only German POW to escape from Canada and make it home.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/19 08:28 by moonliter.

Date: 01/30/19 03:02
Re: Once again, rolling along the Rutland.
Author: VaCentralRy

If you need to mix in culture on your next cross-border venture, there is the Frederic Remington art museum in Odgensburg, which is pretty impressive.

John

Date: 01/30/19 05:03
Author: engineerinvirginia

VaCentralRy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you need to mix in culture on your next
> cross-border venture, there is the Frederic
> Remington art museum in Odgensburg, which is
> pretty impressive.
>
> John

And help yourself to a Beef on Weck sandwich.......

Date: 01/30/19 05:45
Author: refarkas

Your background story made these photos even better.
Bob

Date: 01/30/19 19:33
Author: RuleG

VaCentralRy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you need to mix in culture on your next
> cross-border venture, there is the Frederic
> Remington art museum in Odgensburg, which is
> pretty impressive.
>
> John

Thanks for sharing this.  Nice to know that there are others on TO who appreciate art museums.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds