Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > MGA Coal Trains Stopped due to a Washout

Date: 02/17/19 04:56
MGA Coal Trains Stopped due to a Washout
Author: jmbreitigan

I got a text yesterday afternoon that a track washout south of Clarksville, PA. had the Mon Line shut down. There where empty and loaded trains scattered about. I also found out the Yellow Nose NS #1801 was leading a N11, tied down in Brownsville, PA. on the Loveridge Secondary. A train was loading at Loveridge mine and another empty was siting at HITE siding near Rivesville, WV. waiting to meet the loaded Loveridge mine train. Thus N11 in Brownsville was tied down ( I THINK, lol )  

It was cloudy but the clouds where to give way to sun mid afternoon. So off we went. As is true a lot in Southwestern PA. That sun never made an appearance. There was an empty coal train on the siding near Charleroi, PA. Four empties were waiting at West Brownsville Yard and two loaded trains on the siding at Wayne Tunnel near Waynesburg, PA. waiting to head north. They had 3 work trains assigned to the washout. All I knew at the time was that the washout was in an area south of Clarksville where the track follows along Ten Mile Creek. Most of that area is pretty much inaccessible so we decided not to venture down there. The "we" are my wife and I. So we hung around the Brownsville area. We did head south along the Loveridge Secondary to a small place called Adah. We have been exploring our way south from Brownsville stopping at places like this looking for any remains of coal activity. Back in the day there was a lot of it. Anyway we found an old Monongahela RR mile post in Adah. So on with some pictures:

1.  N11 tied down on a siding on the Loveridge Secondary. Part of Brownsville, PA. in the background. That shed is really leaning.

2. A shot of the cab.

More photos............

Date: 02/17/19 04:59
Re: MGA Coal Trains Stopped due to a Washout

3,4 & 5.  Here we are in West Brownsville yard across the river and four empty trains wait to head south to load.

Three more photos...........

Date: 02/17/19 05:11

6. Old concrete Monongahela RR mile post in Adah. Looking southbound. The 50 refers to 50 miles to Fairmont, the southern terminus of the Monongahela RR.

7. Looking northbound. The 19 referring to 19 miles to Brownsville, PA. 

8. And back to the N11. A tiny bit of sun lights up the side of the Bridge Street bridge which crosses the Monongahela River connecting Brownsville with West Brownsville. It did not get any better with the sun and as evening approaches we hear the Mon Line is open and those two loaded trains at Wayne are going to head north so we went home.

This Sunday morning at I finish the post the sun is out. But I think it is teasing me, daring me to go back and then disappear. Anyway my wife says we need to go to church. Thanks for looking.

John Breitigan
Washington, PA. 

Date: 02/17/19 05:30
Author: NSSpike

Isn't that something. My first and only encounter with the #1801 so far was in the same situation. Tied down as NS 361 at CP Ollie at Rockmart Ga.
All I could manage was a head on shot as it sat in the siding.  Good to see the area there is active with coal drags John. You have done some great
posts in the past detailing the coal operations up that way. Another interesting post with narrative on some old history to boot!!
As always thanks for the your posts to this forum as well!!
NSSpike

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 02/17/19 07:27
Author: birdman

Nice photos.  That yellow nose sure stands out and looks good. 

Date: 02/17/19 11:47
Author: Keystone1

Is 1801 the only NS yellow nose engine, or, should I be on the lookout for others?

Date: 02/17/19 12:21
Author: ns1000

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is 1801 the only NS yellow nose engine, or, should
> I be on the lookout for others?

Also 1800...

Thanks for the post.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0672 seconds