Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Few Hours In Dallas........... Georgia That Is!

Date: 03/11/19 06:45
A Few Hours In Dallas........... Georgia That Is!
Author: NSSpike

Went north on Sunday to the NS North Atlanta District to see what the NS morning offerings would be on this cloudy day.Broke out old reliable, Canon Power Shot S3 IS as the lens fits perfectly through a chain-link fence. Otherwise one has to shoot from either end of the above grade overpass on the Georgia Division mainline that I planned to set up at. The conditions could have been better as it sprinkled on and off a couple of times. Bottom line trying to get as many trains at this location as I can before the saplings start growing! As a footnote: As the pictures indicate it has been a while since I have used old reliable!!! 

#1. First up was south bound local NS G34 (ROME, GA – MABELTON, GA) with 4 log cars. They will run around their cut of cars between CP Oak & CP Hiram and come back through here after 2 north & 2 south bound trains have made their trips by this location. 

#2. The first north bound was NS 727 empty coal drag (CEDAR SPRINGS, GA GEORGIA PACIFIC) with a solid set of about 100 HPJX Helm-Pacific Leasing hoppers series 923xxx built in August 2014. 

#3. Following the coal drag north was NS 288 (ATLANTA, - GA / DETROIT, MI) at MP120.9H 

… more to follow...

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/11/19 06:47
Re: A Few Hours In Dallas........... Georgia That Is!

#4. The first of the south bounds for the morning was NS 22N (MEMPHIS, TN - ATLANTA, GA) “22 Nachos” with a pair of Dash-9 units providing the power. 

#5. A pair of BNSF SD70ACe's lead NS 732-8 (PRB WYOMING - GP JULIETTE, GEORGIA) up the incline of the undulating main just east of Dallas Georgia. 

#6 For the better part of a month now NS #1069 has been a part of the DPU team assigned to this 130 RWSX / HYWX hopper set servicing Georgia Powers Plant Scherer. NS needs to get the #1069 out of this assignment ASAP!!! 

… more to follow...

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/11/19 06:49

#7. Another look at the NS #1069

#8. After the two south bound trains Georgia Division local G34 heads back north with 4 log cars to be placed at the Dallas wood yard just north of this location. 

Thanks for stopping by and always be safe track side!!!
NSSpike

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/11/19 07:14
Author: bobk

Nice shots!

Date: 03/11/19 07:55
Author: rustyr0824

why all the trees down?

Date: 03/11/19 08:13

rustyr0824 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why all the trees down?

Although myself nor any of the railfans in the area have an official source, it appears to us the clearings purpose is to reduce delays due to fallen trees.
In the 30 plus years I have been around I have never seen clearing like this. Now brush and small trees on either side of a grade crossing to improve visibility for sure.
The current project includes the same clearing process in the areas of the double track just north of this location as well.  I believe a project of this size is or has gone on
up on the CNO&TP as well. 

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 03/11/19 10:36
Author: bmarti7

Thanks for the post - I went through Dallas many times when I was working in Rome and going to/from the Atlanta airport.

BB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0754 seconds