Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rail fanning the Chicago area

Date: 03/20/19 06:56
Rail fanning the Chicago area
Author: jmc80mac7

i already have reservations in June at Reilly's Road house for 4 days. I know there is alot to see in the area. We are flying in on Monday and leaving on Friday. Any suggestions as far as a logical way to rail fan the area?

Date: 03/20/19 07:11
Re: Rail fanning the Chicago area
Author: Lackawanna484

will you have a car?

Date: 03/20/19 07:16
Author: jmc80mac7

yes

Date: 03/20/19 07:36
Author: calumet

Check out this website first:

http://dhke.com/CRJ

Date: 03/21/19 03:24
Author: JPB

1. BNSF/UP/Metra/Amtrak at Joliet Union Station - very busy with tons of trains, especially BNSF intermodals
2. Blue Island Crossing: CN/CSX/IHB/IAIS - good lighting for southbound by compass movements.
3. LaGrange: BNSF triple track with Amtrak & Metra plus lots of BNSF bulk/manifest freights. East of the Metra station, BNSF crosses over IHB featuring UP and CP and perhaps other RRs
4. West Chicago: CN (EJ&E) crosses UP (CNW) at grade
5. Dolton Jct is busy if not photogenic.

Date: 03/21/19 07:55
Author: kbmiflyer

calumet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out this website first:
>
> http://dhke.com/CRJ
>  

This this this...the website is a bit outdated but has very good information.

In addition to the list above, I would add the Homewood Amtrak / Metra station, and the Matteson rail park.  Both are CN lines

Roosevelt Road in downtown is a must for Passenger trains.

I also like Elmhurst Metra station for the UP Main, just down the line from West Chicago.

Three favorites are:

Lagrange Road (I also like the Hollywood station just up the line), afternoon you will get 4 Amtrak trains if they are on time.
Dolton - busier and easier to park than Blue Island, although not as picturesque
Roosevelt Road from 2:00 - 6:00 in the afternoon, or 8:00 to 11:00 in the morning.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds