Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS's final run down the NJ's WASS

Date: 03/29/19 12:58
NS's final run down the NJ's WASS
Author: Pattenburg

On March 29th, NS made their last run down the Washington Secondary (WASS). Starting on March 30th, the Dover and Delaware River RR (D&DR) will take over this line as it commences operations. D&DR will provide service to customers in Phillipsburg, Washington, Hackettstown, Dover, Denville, and Mountain View, on track leased from Norfolk Southern and over trackage rights on New Jersey Transit.Their operating schedule is not known at this time. One Port Murray resident mentioned that with the D&DR there was talk of possibly having a "Toys For Tots" train travel this line this Christmas. It will be interesting to see how this transition goes. As for the photos
Photo 1- H02 is seen approaching WASS MP 59 which is near the Airport Road grade crossing in Rockport (NJ).
Photo 2- H02 passes beneath Port Murray's Main Street overpass. Take note of the white flags on the handrails! I selected this location due to the number of people waiting trackside to record this last run at the Port Murray Depot.
Photo 3- H02's last stop for the final time is in the former DL&W Washington yard. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/19 13:13 by Pattenburg.

Date: 03/29/19 13:04
Re: NS's final run down the NJ's WASS
Author: njmidland

For those that don't know, this is almost all ex-Lackawanna trackage. Much of this line travels through the still very rural northwestern corner of NJ.

Tim

Date: 03/29/19 13:11
Author: Lackawanna484

The banner says John Sobotka Last Run. Bon voyage, and green signals!

Extravagantly decorated locomotives and loud send offs were a signature of Erie and Lackawanna retirements.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/29/19 13:24
Author: richs

Isn't that over 60 miles of track?  Class I's sure keep shedding trackage.
Rich S

Date: 03/29/19 13:33
Author: casavoye

Thank you for sharing this. The Bel-Del, Portland Secondary, and Washington Sec were part of the territory assigned to the Trainmaster in P'burg, which was my first Trainmaster assignment under Conrail in the mid - 80's if I can remember that far back! And to top it off, there is John Sobotka's name plastered all over the front of the engine. I worked with John either in Oak Island or Allentown in the late 80's   I lost track of most of my contacts when I moved west, but remember John as a very friendly, knowledgeable, and professional railroader, even at a young age. 

TO posts are always good for some nice surprises. Today was one of them..Thanks again. 

Chip Savoye
Lafayette, CA

Date: 03/29/19 14:54
Author: icancmp193

I'm coming that way for a "special" event in October( for the first time in almost 40 years). Maybe I'll see some action!

TJY

Date: 03/29/19 16:03
Author: pdt

Well, befor everyone gets TOOOOO nostalgic for NS operation....

1. NS is just leasing the tracks to DD for operation. They are not filing for abandonment and walking away.  NS could always come back.  Its happened before..class 1's leasing out a line, and then taking it back...

2. This has been rumored for how long?  Like forever.  NS only stayed with this operation cause a few big shippiers, most of whom have left NJ.  The final nail was BASF leaving Washington. 

3. As for someone retiring on the last H02 out of Dover...The banner is a nice send off...

4. The NS engines wont disappear, from what I've heard.  DD is supposedly leasing NS 5303 and 5304 as they have PTC to operate over NJT.  So things will lprobably look the same til DD  starts using their own power. 

5. whrn anyone finds out what the operating plan is, pls let us all know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/19 16:08 by pdt.

Date: 03/29/19 16:40
Author: pdt

njmidland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those that don't know, this is almost all
> ex-Lackawanna trackage. Much of this line travels
> through the still very rural northwestern corner
> of NJ.
>
> Tim

Unles there's something  im forgetting, its all ex-DLW trackage, except for about a half mile of  track in Mt View, that is ex-Erie Greenwood lake.   The DLW boonton line used to cross the greenwood lake at a diamond in Mt View....but that was taken out LONH ago, so now trains going east to Totowa, have to pull down to the Greenwood lake Mt View station, back up the greenwood lake br about a half mile, to where there's a switch to proceed fwd again to totowa on what remains of the DLW boonton line to Paterson.

Date: 03/30/19 07:58

rantoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the symbol on the banner 'Reading' railroad? 
> Great post.

The four logos on the banner, from top to bottom, are RDG, CNJ, CR and NS.

Date: 03/30/19 08:15
Author: Lackawanna484

The foundations of the tower at Mountain View used to be visible. I don't know if that's still the case.

There's a lot of Erie and DL&W along with Morris Canal artifacts in that small area.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/30/19 11:09

Perhaps this stretch of track has the potential for a track car excursion? Lots of history associated with this line.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.13 seconds