Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > UP 1995-The chase of a lifetime

Date: 04/17/19 13:54
UP 1995-The chase of a lifetime
Author: bath_wildcat

As I stated in my other thread, I had a message from my longtime friend and fellow railfan Greg he was going after the UP 1995 leading NS 18A.  He was mobile and on the highway, but oddly enough he had no clue where he was going, and thats where I came in.  Where 18A was going, I grew up around that area, so I was basically navigator on one heck of a chase.  

It started out when Greg picked me up at Sandusky Amtrak, as I was already ready to go.  Once in his truck, we both discussed the best place to nail 1995, and both of us agreed on the bridge that goes over the Chicago Line at CD 266 in Oak Harbor, Ohio.  18A was a bit short, so it made for an interesting catch, as Greg and myself just arrived in the knick of time. 

I wanted to frame 1995 just hitting the bridge, as a stand alone because this is only my third (Up 1982 and 1996) of the six heritage units I have actually seen.  

I went for the full consist photo, knowing the CN and I had forgotten about the CN unit being ex ATSF.  

I shot this car as I thought it was interesting. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/19 14:03 by bath_wildcat.

Date: 04/17/19 14:01
Re: UP 1995-The chase of a lifetime

So I tried the extreme distance shot, as Greg is driving, and Im navigating watching for the rear of 18A.  I had said for him to just watch the road I'll look out for 18A.  Sure enough the rear came into view, and this was the result.  

We chased to St Rt 19 crossing where 1995 was waylaid for NS 353 that had just left Bellevue yard. Id say it was a good couple of hours wait.  There were a couple of other railfans from Cleveland, however they didnt stick around to wait.  Pic is from St Rt 19 crossing showing the CNW sitting waiting, cooling her heels.  In that time I also had a visit from a long time friend who happend to be driving by and saw me out there.  It was pretty much worth it seeing him as he had back surgery a month ago. 

NS 353 comes into view with UP 8772 leading NS 9820. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 04/17/19 14:06

A bit of a tight picture of UP 8772.  

Going away picture of NS 353 with NS 9820 trailing.  Greg is to the lower right in this picture, so yes thats what he looks like. 

Then I decided to do a little expierment with my flash. Just trying something a bit different.  Im somewhat happy with the results, but I might try it up here on the Chicago Line jsut to see what I can do.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 04/17/19 14:11

Then it was 18A time to go.  I had my flash on for this because it was getting a bit dark.  If there are crew members on here that took 18A to Bellevue, I am sorry for the flash.  

1995 coming at me and going away. 

That ended the chase right there.  IT was quite a fun one, as I havent had that adrenilin rush in a very long time.  All in all it was pretty good and I enjoed every minute of it.  Special thanks to Greg for allowing me to come along on this chase with him. 

Knock three of the six off the list, now to get 1983, 1988, and 1989.  

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 04/17/19 17:14
Author: TamaquaTim

Great pictures where does 18A terminate?
Thanks, Tim McRea

Date: 04/17/19 17:45
Author: delvalrailfan

TamaquaTim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great pictures where does 18A terminate?
> Thanks, Tim McRea

Bellevue

Andrew Pine

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds