Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Another quick trip before work

Date: 05/06/19 09:42
Another quick trip before work
Author: pennsy3750

After my short trip a couple weeks ago to chase down the Pioneer Valley RR, I had time last week to cross another short line off my hit list.  This time it was the Massachusetts Central, which runs northeast out of Palmer to Ware and then on to South Barre.  This was actually my second trip on the MCER, but the first was over the winter and the shadows were just too long to get any good shots before I had to go to work.

1 - The chase is on.  Popping out of the treeline, along Route 32 on the north side of Palmer, a little after 8am.  They have a pair of these nice-looking GP38-2s but normally only use one at a time, so you're faced with 50-50 odds of long hood forward.  The paint job is of course a throwback to the line's Boston & Maine heritage.

2 - Just before reaching the small yard in Ware, a stop is made to switch Kanzaki Specialty Paper.  Here, they've just grabbed two cars, and are coming back off the spur to pick up the rest of the train.

3 - Working the yard in Ware, the ladder track is on the overpass above Route 32.

Date: 05/06/19 09:47
Re: Another quick trip before work
Author: pennsy3750

4 - Now in the small yard at Ware, MCER 1750 is pulling cars from A&R Packaging & Distribution, as another load is delivered by a different mode of transport.

5 - Essentially the same spot, looking to the right.

6 - And here we are at South Barre, the current end of the line.  The main line is behind me in the woods; this switchback is used to access a transload customer, located in the open yard beyond the abandoned firetrap of a mill.

Date: 05/06/19 10:05
Author: PasadenaSub

Great set of pictures.  That scheme is very McGinnis-era Boston and Maine reminiscent.

Rich

Date: 05/06/19 10:13
Author: Pattenburg

Nicely composed scene on the bridge.

Date: 05/06/19 10:16
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Very nicely done, Paolo!

Mike

Date: 05/06/19 11:51
Author: refarkas

My favorite is your last photo using the unused mill as a backdrop.
Bob

Date: 05/06/19 11:57
Author: railrob

Nice Pics! We got married on the MCRR. Mile marker 16.8 Mass Central Railroad is listed on our marriage licence for place of wedding.

Date: 05/06/19 14:12
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics...

Date: 05/07/19 07:17
Author: Milepost_130

Nice.  Congratulations on IOTD.

Date: 05/07/19 09:56
Author: retcsxcfm

The outlined lettering makes the name hard to read.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0549 seconds