Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Y129 crossing the Ohio River

Date: 05/07/19 20:48
CSX Y129 crossing the Ohio River
Author: srman

This past Sunday morning I was pleased to catch CSX local Y129 crossing the Ohio River from Louisville Ky. into Indiana. Leading the train north was a CSX 2256 and although its a slug it still has that GP30
carbody that is a favorite of mine regardless. The 2256 was built originally as GM&O 508. Anyway Y129 is a CSX local job that runs from Louisville's Osborn yard to the Jeffersonville Indiana Maritime Center where it will work several industries. Images are as it crosses the river and its arrival at its small Watson yard just north of Jeffersonville.  

Date: 05/07/19 20:50
Re: CSX Y129 crossing the Ohio River
Author: srman

Last three.

Date: 05/08/19 04:25
Author: jmbreitigan

That is an impressive bridge.

Date: 05/08/19 07:52
Author: Rmosele

That's a great bridge. I used to spend hours there when I lived in Floyds Knobs, just up the hill from there on the Indiana side.

Date: 05/09/19 13:47
Author: ns1000

Pic 2 is my favorite!!

Date: 05/12/19 08:48
Author: IU_Tower

jmbreitigan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is an impressive bridge.

The PRR didn't mess around when they made it, that's for sure!

Date: 05/12/19 18:50
Author: prr4828

Photo 2 comment:

I've seen this bridge before in other photos. I've often wondered about the spillway discharging against one of the main piers. Great photo.

Anyone know this: prior to the dam, was marine traffic directed under the arch spans? When the dam was built, why wasn't is outflow directed under the eastern span? Even with the concrete protecthing the masonry, it would seem this arrangement would just be asking for trouble.

Any bridgenerds about? I'm curious about then-current load ratings at the time of its construction. Was it designed for specific service, like coal or ore trains, or just 1940's steam power? Also seems like the arch and it's approach span seem to have slight grade to them.

Sure be fun to have a span like this on my layout!

Another railway bridge just to the west once carried auto traffic on cantilivered lanes. The eastern lane shows some wear, perhaps as an access road? Neat bridge, too.

* JB *

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0594 seconds