Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSXT Clearwater Subdivision

Date: 05/08/19 08:25
CSXT Clearwater Subdivision
Author: ewlanctot

Here is a shot of the now (only) weekly visit of CSXT O701 tied down in the once-busy yard in St. Petersburg, FL.  
The relatively long train is facing compass and timetable north (towards Clearwater) and is led by GP38-2 #2736 with GP40-3 #6535.
Interstate 275 is in the background at the south end of the yard, with Tropicana Field (Home of the Tampa Bay Rays) visible as well.
This is the south end of the Clearwater Subdivsion and only has two remaining active customers, the Tampa Bay Times (newsprint) and Caroll's Building Supply (aggregate hoppers).
The hoppers you see on this train are actually destined for Conrad Yelvington Distributors (CYDX) farther up the line to the north in Largo, FL (on the Duval Spur).

Eric Lanctot

Date: 05/08/19 08:47
Re: CSXT Clearwater Subdivision
Author: stevelv

Was through Clearwater last month and noticed there is still some cool street running trackage through downtown on this line.

Date: 05/08/19 13:07
Author: NSSpike

Eric your post has taken me back some 67 years ago when at the age of 4, I rode the ACL Champion right down those tracks to the end of the line.
I recall the tracks went right down 1st Ave south and over an old wooden bridge at the Yacht Club area. The passenger depot was at 4th street I believe.After everyone and everything was unloaded a switcher would drag the train back north to the yard around 22nd Ave & 22nd Street where it would get "Y", serviced and fueled. A switcher would drag it back south the next day to the depot for the trip back to New York. 
Thanks again for this reminder of a time some 67 years ago!!!

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 05/08/19 13:31
Author: ewlanctot

This is exactly where the passenger yard was located.  This photo was taken just south of 22nd Avenue North and 22nd Street North.  Two of the three legs of the wye still exist.

Date: 05/08/19 21:06
Author: Panamerican99

This line is featured in the 1960's-70's in the DVD" Classic Florida Rails, Volume 1". There even a few scenes from the 1950's.
-JH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds