Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Soon to be but a Memory, GCK Operations - 11 May 2019

Date: 05/11/19 18:22
Soon to be but a Memory, GCK Operations - 11 May 2019
Author: DTWilson

With the announced closing of the Verso paper mill at Luke, MD at the end of May, Scenes like this will soon be but a memory....... Georges Creek Railway's Alco T6 #101 switching their part of the facility at Luke.

I never dreamed in my 56 years on this planet, I would see that day that paper would not be produced in Luke, MD..........

Tim W.

Date: 05/11/19 18:50
Re: Soon to be but a Memory, GCK Operations - 11 May 2019
Author: steamboat

any chance at all that someone else will buy the plant ??

Date: 05/11/19 19:02
Author: refarkas

How sad! These photos of 101switching the plant are soon to be unrepeatable.
Bob

Date: 05/11/19 19:53
Author: wjpyper

DTWilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I never dreamed in my 56 years on this planet, I
> would see that day that paper would not be
> produced in Luke, MD..........
>
> Tim W.

Like everything else, modern technology and international competion has reduced the number of mills needed to produce paper. Lots of mills have closed. Almost all newsprint is made in Canada. Glossy magazine paper is largely made in Asia.
Bill Pyper
Retired Printer
Salem, Oregon

>  

Date: 05/12/19 01:34
Author: ClubCar

Thanks Tim for once again keeping all of us up to date.  I wonder what the owners of Georges Creek will do now especially with their rebuilt Western Maryland locomotives?
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/12/19 05:03
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics...

I never thought I would see the day either.  Not all that surprising though.....

Date: 05/12/19 15:10
Author: engineerinvirginia

I mentioned elsewhere that liner board and corrugating medium is going great with the need for boxes, and heavy stock for packaging also is going well. If the Luke mill or some portion of it could be refitted for that, it might be a competitive lifeline.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds