Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > n.s. main route chi-pitt-east coast q's

Date: 05/15/19 21:03
n.s. main route chi-pitt-east coast q's
Author: goneon66

i am not very familiar with n.s.'s trackage or operations so i have a few questions

1. starting at chicago and running through elkhart,in to pittsburg,pa, what are the n.s.'s crew districts?

2. what amtrak trains operate on the n.s. between chi-pitt-nyc/phi?

3. what are some of the n.s.'s hot trains that run e/of chicago to the e/coast?

4. is the n.s.'s cleveland-buffalo line very busy with traffic? 

5. besides elkhart, are there any other major yards between chicago and the e/coast? 

that's it for now and thanks for any info..........

Date: 05/16/19 03:49
Re: n.s. main route chi-pitt-east coast q's
Author: delvalrailfan

3. what are some of the n.s.'s hot trains that run e/of chicago to the e/coast? 

205, 206, 20E, 20K, 20W, 21E, 21J, 21M, 21Z, 22W, 24M, 26E

4. is the n.s.'s cleveland-buffalo line very busy with traffic?  

Not really, only sees about 10 trains/day

5. besides elkhart, are there any other major yards between chicago and the e/coast?  

Bellevue, Conway, Enola, Allentown

Andrew Pine

Date: 05/16/19 07:38
Author: reel_smooth

As far as Amtrak, there is a once-daily train between NYC and Pittsburgh, via Philadelphia, called The Pennsylvanian. I believe the Amtrak train numbers are 42/43. On the NS Pittsburgh line, 04T/07T.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/16/19 07:42
Author: toledopatch

reel_smooth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as Amtrak, there is a once-daily train
> between NYC and Pittsburgh, via Philadelphia,
> called The Pennsylvanian. I believe the Amtrak
> train numbers are 42/43. On the NS Pittsburgh
> line, 04T/07T.

West of Pittsburgh to Cleveland, the NS mainline route is used by the Capitol Limited, Amtrak Nos. 29-30 (NS symbols 03T/02T). West of Cleveland the Lake Shore Limited, Amtrak Nos. 48-49, and the Cap both use the NS through Toledo and Elkhart to Chicago. The Lake Shore's NS-style symbols are 08T-09T but I almost never hear NS-style symbols used in western Ohio except for the occasional Amtrak equipment extra, which will typically run with an NS symbol of R8T (eastbound) or R9T (westbound).

Date: 05/16/19 08:17
Author: goneon66

thanks everybody for the info.  this increasing knowledge of railroads e/of chicago is interesting..........

Date: 05/16/19 12:43
Author: halfmoonharold

Crew change points: Elkhart, Toledo, Cleveland, Conway, Altoona, Harrisburg. There are long pools that skip some of those terminals, especially for intermodal trains.

Date: 05/16/19 16:13
Author: RuleG

East of Harrisburg, Amtrak trains operate on Amtrak-owned lines to Philadelphia and New York City.  Norfolk Southern freight trains access the New York area (northeastern New Jersey) on former Reading and Lehigh Valley lines.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds