Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Locos sold to CP for parts

Date: 05/17/19 18:58
CSX Locos sold to CP for parts
Author: SOO6617

CSX has sold 4 AC4400CWs to CP to be stripped for parts and then scrapped. CSX 326,445,469 and 518 hhave  been seen being parted out in CP facilities.

Date: 05/17/19 19:53
Re: CSX Locos sold to CP for parts
Author: GPutz

Those locomotives are 18 to 21 years old.  CSXT #1 will be 25 years old next month.  NS is rebuilding its C44-9s and C44-9Ws.  CSXT will have to do that soon or replace them.  Gerry

Date: 05/18/19 06:15
Author: engineerinvirginia

Locomotives that were shiny and new when I hired on are being scrapped.....man do I feel old!

Date: 05/18/19 07:36
Author: ctillnc

Don't feel bad. I was hanging around my Dad's freight yard when GP30s were delivered new. 

Date: 05/18/19 16:40
Author: hartrick24

GPutz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those locomotives are 18 to 21 years old.  CSXT
> #1 will be 25 years old next month.  NS is
> rebuilding its C44-9s and C44-9Ws.  CSXT will
> have to do that soon or replace them.  Gerry

If #1 is 25 years old, why would CSX sell locos that are many years newer ? Why not sell 1, 2, 3 and 4 aren't they the oldest?

Steve H...

Date: 05/18/19 23:19
Author: Foamductor

hartrick24 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> If #1 is 25 years old, why would CSX sell locos
> that are many years newer ? Why not sell 1, 2, 3
> and 4 aren't they the oldest?
>
>  Steve H...

Word on the street is that these specific units had major issues or were already stripped of major parts. Pictures of 518 on another site show that it was shipped without a prime mover installed. 

Date: 05/19/19 09:27
Author: engineerinvirginia

It's also fair to say that any given locomotive will only be sent to the bench when it's latest failure costs happens to be when the the unit has gone beyond economical repair. What goes into that decision varies, but one considers the last time it was overhauled...where the present failure may be cheap in and of itself but it's likely that another failure will follow if the unit is high miles since the last overhaul. So where a certain series of locomotives is virtually falling apart en masse...some within that series may soldier on reliably for a few more years....and if they can....they will...or be stored usable....and potentially sellable as a running unit perhaps. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds