Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Where to railfan in West Virginia???

Date: 05/18/19 10:49
Where to railfan in West Virginia???
Author: DelrayConnecting

I was wondering if anyone could suggest good places to catch trains in West Virginia. I know the coal industry in that area is past its prime and freight isn't as busy, but there is still probably areas they move more frequently than others. I'm planning a trip and want to see some trains on the move, where should I go? Also if anyone knows of locations similar to Thurmond, WV I'd be interested in hearing about it. Thanks.

Date: 05/18/19 11:06
Re: Where to railfan in West Virginia???
Author: exhaustED

Shenandoah Junction, near Harper's Ferry.

Date: 05/18/19 11:08
Author: MEKoch

I assume you you have considered Durbin, Cass, etc. Numerous trains and types: Steam, dinner trains etc.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/18/19 11:44
Author: retcsxcfm

Huntington WV and nearby area is good to see
and photograph trains. Shen Jct is not that great
for photos AFAIC.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 05/18/19 12:36
Author: DJ-12

West Virginia is a pretty sprawling state, especially when you start factoring the extra time it takes to cover all the territory that is covered by hills, rivers and mountains. Can you give us any sense of what part you are interested in or what you are looking to see? None of the lines aside from the NS Pokey main in the extreme south would be considered very busy, but there are still lots of interesting things to see for a patient railfan.

Date: 05/18/19 13:13
Author: BNSF-E9

Quinnimont, Prince, Meadow Creek, Hinton, Rainelle, Ronceverte, Alderson, and other areas within New River Gorge.  Allow a bit of time getting to Thurmond, but it's worth the drive.

Date: 05/18/19 13:23
Author: DelrayConnecting

I've been to Cass and Thurmond many times. I love it! I appreciate everyones feedback. I will look into everyones suggestions. I'm planning to do the new trip from cass up to elkins by combining the Shay's to Spruce and then the Salamander from Spruce to Elkins. I'm fairly new to the hobby so I always welcome spots to check out.

Date: 05/18/19 19:40
Author: exopr

Martinsburg and Cumberland on the old B&O.

Date: 05/19/19 15:56
Author: Appalachianrails

Don’t forget there’s a new trip coming later on this year between Cass and Durbin along the Greenbrier River for the first time since the flood of 1985.....

Date: 05/19/19 19:25
Author: atx_railfan

harper's ferry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds