Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Railfanning in Washington, PA

Date: 06/02/19 19:22
Railfanning in Washington, PA
Author: Passfanatic

Hey Everyone, when I'm in Washington, PA, I am going to visit the trolley museum. In addition to that, I am interested in possibly railfanning some of the freight lines that go through there, especially the one through downtown. How frequent are the freights and which days do they run? Thanks

Date: 06/02/19 20:07
Re: Railfanning in Washington, PA
Author: DJ-12

Passfanatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Everyone, when I'm in Washington, PA, I am
> going to visit the trolley museum. In addition to
> that, I am interested in possibly railfanning some
> of the freight lines that go through there,
> especially the one through downtown. How frequent
> are the freights and which days do they run?
> Thanks

Hope your trip goes well. There isn't much freight traffic directly through this area. POHC runs past the museum at Arden several days per week. This used to occur late morning M-W-F but I don't know if that still holds true. AVR runs through downtown Washington past the station on the old B&O. This is a turn from Pittsburgh serving customers that are at the end of the line. They don't always go as far as Washington every day, but they do most days. The crew runs M-F and is usually out around Washington by midday.

Date: 06/03/19 05:43

It looks like my draft plan for my day in Washington, PA will have me visiting the museum in the morning, and then probably about 1:00, I'm going to leave the museum and head to Downtown Washington to do mostly nonrail stuff. However, I will keep my eye out for the freight trains. I'm going to go to the museum either 6/25, 6/26, or 6/27.

Date: 06/03/19 06:59
Author: DJ-12

Passfanatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like my draft plan for my day in
> Washington, PA will have me visiting the museum in
> the morning, and then probably about 1:00, I'm
> going to leave the museum and head to Downtown
> Washington to do mostly nonrail stuff. However, I
> will keep my eye out for the freight trains. I'm
> going to go to the museum either 6/25, 6/26, or
> 6/27.

If you see or hear the AVR crew going west, they will return east at some point (duration of your wait depends on how much customer switching needs to happen with the 2 customers that are past the depot area.)

Date: 06/03/19 08:38

I'll probably be in Washington until either 3:30 or 4:45.

Date: 06/03/19 16:13

My schedule is subject to change. It's also possible that after I visit the museum, I might head back to Pittsburgh, especially if I hear that there are NS heritage units passing through there.

Date: 06/04/19 05:20
Author: jmbreitigan

I volunteer at the Trolley Museum at Arden as an operator. POHC still runs by the museum to serve Washington Penn Plastics near the museum on M-W-F. They USUALLY show up around noon. To add to DJ-12's info on the AVR 3 local that runs through Washington, When serving only V Bat Plastics on the west end of town Tuesday or Thursday was a good day to see the local. Now they service a Frac sand facility in the Tylerdale area in the west end of town, I have seen the local more than previously mentioned servicing the Frac sand facility. Probably on a as needed basis according to how much drilling for Marcellus gas is going on in the area. I hope you have a successful visit.

John Breitigan
Washington, PA.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds