Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > S'more Jersey Snaps

Date: 06/23/19 15:05
S'more Jersey Snaps
Author: overniteman

Another picture perfect, blue sky, no clouds and not too hot New Jersey day. 

Had to do a favor for a buddy of mine this AM that brought me to North Jersey.
Afterward, I ended up near CSX's River Sub. Brought the camera, but no scanner, so no symbols.

The River Sub was busy for the 2 hour visit with a bunch of intermodals, autorack and manifests, but it's GEVO heaven. 
I'll spare the audience.

However, at 9 AM Sperry 131 went North. Haven't seen one of these running in quite awhile. 

Ridgefield Park, New Jersey.

Date: 06/23/19 15:13
Re: S'more Jersey Snaps

Ten minutes later, another surprise. 

A Southbound CSX K train with EMD SD40-2 8388 fronting a pair of BNSF's.
That's the second day in a row,an SD40-2 has done the honors on a fuel train through New Jersey.

Ridgefield Park, New Jersey. 

Date: 06/23/19 15:26

The rest of the CSX trains were GEVO's except for an empty autorack heading North with an SD40-3 / SD40-2 combo.
Too bad it was coming out of the sun.

So, with nothing to do (except watch trains), I headed South towards the CSAO Lehigh line and also pick up my scanner from home.

Just as I rolled in to my spot, the scanner started chirping on the FRED frequency which I love.
Even if you don't pick up the crews calling signals, the FRED freq will let you know somethings around.

And that something was Norfolk Southern's 63V with the Illinois Terminal heritage unit on the point. 
The 63V is garbage loads heading West. 

Piscataway, New Jersey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/19 16:00 by overniteman.

Date: 06/23/19 15:37

One more look at NS EMD SD70ACe 1072 as it rolls West towards Mingo Junction, some 400 miles away.

BTW, if you've never stood trackside as one of these "ripe" garbage trains goes by, let's just say it not a delight for the senses.

Piscataway, New Jersey.

Date: 06/23/19 15:49

Next were a bunch of CSX / NS trains with nothing special as power. Even CSX Q158 didn't have a DPU today.

At about 2 PM, I figured what could top the IT unit, so I uttered the railfan's universal saying "One more and I'm done".

Ten minutes later at  2:11 PM, NS lined up the 33K for the finale.

NS rebuild GE AC44C6M 4040 swings around the bend with a D9 and 20 cars for Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Piscataway, New Jersey. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds