Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > LA: Securing rail facilities in New Orleans, Baton Rouge

Date: 07/12/19 13:52
LA: Securing rail facilities in New Orleans, Baton Rouge
Author: Lackawanna484

Several Louisiana media outlets report extensive activity in closing roads and underpasses prior to the arrival of the tropical storm.  With the Mississippi River already running very high due to flooding and heavy rains upriver, many places "notorious for flooding" are already blocked off.  Baton Rouge has may grade separations with the highway going under the railroad.  These flood quickly.

Have CN, New Orleans Public Belt, Union Pacific etc removed their rolling stock and anything that can be moved to any higher ground?  I know the spillaways have been of limited use so far.  That's been mentioned in the local media on many occasions.

https://www.wafb.com/2019/07/10/brpd-placing-barricades-sites-notorious-flooding/

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/multimedia/photos/collection_3be52aaa-a4d4-11e9-a44d-5f1df6bffa1e.html#6

Date: 07/12/19 21:23
Re: LA: Securing rail facilities in New Orleans, Baton Rouge
Author: prr4828

I watched WGNO's video feed earlier tonight on the web. It included a press conference with the Orleans Parish president, and the local officials. A few of them noted that all of their flood gates had been closed in their respecitive areas.

Anyone know of details on the number of flood gates closing railroad lines? Is any railroad equipment parked on the bridge / RoW on the flood side of the gate? I've seen photos of loaded hoppers spotted mid-span to stabilized said bridge in other flood stage zones events.

C&C welcome.

* JB *

Date: 07/13/19 14:52
Re: LA: Securing rail facilities in New Orleans, Baton Rouge
Author: 3rdswitch

Just a while ago there was a live report from Baton Rouge on Weather Channel with a train passing in the distance, I was a bit surprised.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds