Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Deshler Ohio

Date: 08/10/19 07:27
Deshler Ohio
Author: biff

A few years ago it seemed that there were often posts about rail fanning at Deshler. Deshler was not one of my favorite spots, to much partying for me. Now I never see anything about Deshler, has it fallen out of favor as a rail fan spot ?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/10/19 08:34
Re: Deshler Ohio
Author: JUTower

I think that a number of the folks who frequented Deshler have dropped out of TO membership over the years.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/10/19 08:52
Author: farmer

It’s still a happening place.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/10/19 13:46
Author: zfan

Judging by the VR rail cam, still looks like great place to rail fan.  Glad I had opportunity to spend time there back in 90s.  I love that the old C&O cpl signals are still in service too!

Date: 08/10/19 13:56
Author: jbohdan2

You will still find many railfans shooting around Deshler.  The CPLs are former B&O though.

Date: 08/10/19 18:25
Author: SandPatch1

Still the best place in Michigan to Railfan.
OK, that is the ribbing I get from the locals who see the large number of Michigan plates.
the park people came down hard on the drinking and bonfires with the help of the town.  
Best is slow trains on the wyes to check out cars, and fast trains cause fast is fun.
The CPLs are worth a visit they have to be on borrowed time,  hope Jacksonville forgets they still exists.
great and safe, family friendly,  and kept clean by fans.  About. Time to haul away the lumber people keep dumping.
please donate when y visit... They new funds to bring in water for some new facilities.

Date: 08/11/19 12:41
Author: rbenko

What's the story on the station and tower?  Are they still both owned by CSX?  Any hope of restoration?  I would think the station would be tough to restore in place due to the fact that it is surrounded by tracks (although I don't think the NW leg of the wye is used very often).

Date: 08/11/19 13:05
Author: howeld

rbenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the story on the station and tower?  Are
> they still both owned by CSX?  Any hope of
> restoration?  I would think the station would be
> tough to restore in place due to the fact that it
> is surrounded by tracks (although I don't think
> the NW leg of the wye is used very often).

I believe CSX still uses the tower for MOW or signal dept. The station just needs to be demolished. Big hole in the side from the derailment and flooded basement. Anything wood on the exterior appears to be shot. Not worth the trouble to move and restore.

I camped there last weekend. Had a nice time.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/11/19 19:23
Author: farmer

Tower is still used by signal dept.
It also has a fair amount of electronics inside for the interlocking.
Also the park is definitely a great place to railfan and you can find people there usually all the time.
Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/19 19:27 by farmer.

Date: 08/12/19 19:23
Author: Baxtersta

Yes, Deshler, OH is a busy place. This past Sunday, Aug 11, in a little over an hour aound midday there were seven trains by my count. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds