Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What a waste of money!

Date: 08/11/19 18:45
What a waste of money!
Author: The-late-EMD

CSX is using their new ST70AH'S(that's what CSX call them) for local switching duties. Are they that short of 4 axle power? Ps word is CSX and the crew actually like EMD'S new toys.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/11/19 18:52
Re: What a waste of money!
Author: JasonCNW

Not all that uncommon depending on exactly what type of switching we are talking about. If its yard switching,big power might be needed to pull down heavy cuts of cars while building trains. UP likes to use their SD40N's for this.
JC

Posted from Android

Date: 08/11/19 19:26
Author: steamboat

there useing them on locals going into siding s too

Date: 08/11/19 21:19
Author: RiverLineProductions

They're based out of the Winston, FL area... they are primarily on the Bone Valley Unit trains, but since that's the power Winston has, I guess they use them on the locals when they're not doing anything else

Date: 08/12/19 05:55
Author: gbmott

Before you start shouting "waste of money" you might stop to recall that there are only ten of these and they are a radically different locomotive.  Assignment to Winston for use in the Bone Valley is a good way to have them where they can be closely observed and utilized in a variety of services.  As an apparent EMD fan you should be glad CSX is proceeding this way where they can be maintained by people familiar with them rather than being thrown willy-nilly into the intermodal pool where they could develop unwarranted reputations as lemons because no one is familiar with them.

Just my opinion.

Gordon

Date: 08/12/19 07:24
Author: ts1457

Besides keeping an eye on them, CSX is probably trying to keep the fuel hogs from guzzling too much.

Date: 08/12/19 07:37
Author: flarails882

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqdsQ8pFM2s

This distant signal video showcases SD70s the doing local work. I've been subscribed to his channel for 10+ years. It is one of the few channels where you watch from start to finish. I wish he would retire and showcase other parts of the world, instead of Florida!

Date: 08/13/19 22:30
Author: NC_CSXFAN13

flarails882 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqdsQ8pFM2s
>
> This distant signal video showcases SD70s the
> doing local work. I've been subscribed to his
> channel for 10+ years. It is one of the few
> channels where you watch from start to finish. I
> wish he would retire and showcase other parts of
> the world, instead of Florida!

FWIW, flarails882, you don't have to keep subscribed to his videos since he only does Florida.  Maybe it's what he prefers to do.  I am subscribed to his channel and love it very much.  
@The-late-EMD, now as far as the new engines that CSX has, it's not common to see big power working the local jobs.  Here in NC, I have seen every single type of big horsepower locomotive that CSX has working the local jobs.  You also have to realize that CSX was never big on purchasing new EMDs after the SD70MACs.  They are more of an GE railroad with their power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/19 22:33 by NC_CSXFAN13.

Date: 08/14/19 15:37
Author: coach

I've read these new EMD's are fuel hogs.  I wonder by "how much?" compared to 710-powered engines?

Date: 08/15/19 07:47
Author: CZ10

flarails882 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqdsQ8pFM2s
>
> This distant signal video showcases SD70s the
> doing local work. I've been subscribed to his
> channel for 10+ years. It is one of the few
> channels where you watch from start to finish. I
> wish he would retire and showcase other parts of
> the world, instead of Florida!

As "Distant Signal", Danny Harmon produces some of the best
"general rail-fanning" videos I've seen anywhere.  FYI - should
you have the Run8 Train Simulator, listen carefully to the A-Line
defect detectors.  That's Danny Harmon supplying the voice!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds