Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A few from Allentown-Bethlehem Friday

Date: 08/31/19 05:22
A few from Allentown-Bethlehem Friday
Author: sscannella

Frdiay morning found me around the Allentow-Bethehem area.   First train I came upon was local H75 dropping down from the Lehigh Line onto the Cement Secondary at CP-JU, with an SD40/GP38 duo.

Over on the Bethlehem side, intermodal 22V had just finished making its set-off in River yard of some intermodal cars and a pair of hot-ingot cars from Steelton.  Lehich Vally Rail Management came out with their mix of switchers to make a quick pick-up.

22V also made a pick-up and had already backed against there train and soon finished pumping their air and blasted off for New Jersey.

Date: 08/31/19 05:31
Re: A few from Allentown-Bethlehem Friday

Next out a Bethlehem was local H76 bound for Three Bridges, NJ.

There was a 294 headed to Bethlehem with 10K for Allentown following behind.   One of the problems wit trying to photograph around here is that action tends to occur on both the east and west sides of Allentown Yard simultaneously, so I opted to pass up the 294 and head over to Canal Park to catch the 10K crossing the Lehigh River coming into Allentown Yard.

10K is a new symbol under NS's TOP21 plan.  Originating at Elkhart, IN, it brings in many cars from the west and mid-west bound for eastern PA and New Jersey.  Usually a big train,it's one which is designated for mid-train DPUs under the new operating plan.  This day it 'only' came into Allentown with 87 cars (if my count was correct), plus the crew mention i think a 50 car drop-off in Reading, so it only warranted a single DPU (I usually see it with 2 mid-train DPUs)

Date: 08/31/19 05:36

I often like to get a photo around Emmaus before wrapping up my time here - Friday I was rewarded with two as local H11 and 34A were both departing Allentown simultaneously.   The local, with a much smaller 4 car train, won the race, but the 164 car 34A, which could be considered a counterpart to 10k, wasn't too far behind.

Date: 08/31/19 06:11
Author: OCtrainguy

Looks like you did very well.  Real nice series of photos! 

Date: 08/31/19 12:41
Author: perklocal

Nicely Done !

Date: 09/01/19 14:30
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds