Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Thurmond at night?

Date: 09/08/19 05:47
Thurmond at night?
Author: robbie

Hello all!

Sorry for a last-minute query, but I'm heading back from a family vacation, and will be spending the night in Beckley, WV. After the wife and daughter go to sleep, was thinking about trying to visit Thurmond or Prince for some railfanning/stargazing. I've been to Thurmond in daylight before, and remember the road being fairly curvy. Went to Prince on my way down, and noticed the same. Given this and the remoteness of both spots, anything I should beware of about heading out?

Also, I know others have asked this as well, but any idea of recent train frequency on the old C&O main?

TIA!
Robbie

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/19 07:38
Re: Thurmond at night?
Author: warren1977

robbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello all!
>
> Sorry for a last-minute query, but I'm heading
> back from a family vacation, and will be spending
> the night in Beckley, WV. After the wife and
> daughter go to sleep, was thinking about trying to
> visit Thurmond or Prince for some
> railfanning/stargazing. I've been to Thurmond in
> daylight before, and remember the road being
> fairly curvy. Went to Prince on my way down, and
> noticed the same. Given this and the remoteness of
> both spots, anything I should beware of about
> heading out?
>
> Also, I know others have asked this as well, but
> any idea of recent train frequency on the old C&O
> main?
>
> TIA!
> Robbie
>
> Posted from iPhone
Bears?

Date: 09/08/19 08:31
Author: RiverLineProductions

Just recently visited... there is decent light for night shots by the old station in Thurmond. Traffic when I visited in June was very good, I caught 12 trains from 8am - 8pm. I hear though that this was a very busy day so I think the average count may be a few trains lower

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/19 09:55
Author: mkancle

Robbie,

Just be sure to carry some insect repellent and you should have a great time! The people down there are used to rail fans (and other history buffs) taking pictures.
I enjoy walking through the New River Gorge at sunset and experiencing the day turning into night. Something about the history of the place and its numerous ghost towns being reclaimed by the forest really fascinates me. It is a special area.
Good luck!

Matt

Date: 09/08/19 10:55
Author: Tominde

Oh man that's a nice shot.  

Date: 09/08/19 17:39
Author: wheel_slip

Thurmond at night is a haunting place....
It's a great place to visit anytime.

Andy

Date: 09/08/19 17:54
Author: CCMF

I camped by the coal tower with no issues.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 09/10/19 09:24
Author: Baxtersta

Comments above are on the mark. The few locals still around are great. I have been there multiple times late into the night with no issues except one night. That was when a pair of obvilously drugged out indidviduals caem through.  But that happens anywhere these days anytime of day or night.  Just keep your wits about you and have a great time.  

Date: 09/10/19 14:02
Author: drsilverstreak

Several decades ago I stayed at Hawk's Nest State Park (bit of a drive).  While trains are still far away, watching them from the lookout at night is very magical.

Date: 09/12/19 10:50
Author: dbrcnw

Very interesting discussion. Sold me, if the hou grows late and I'm in the area, a visit will be on my agenda.

Oh yes, great photos!

DaleR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds