Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Elmurst IL (Chicago) Railfanning on a Saturday

Date: 09/08/19 11:00
Elmurst IL (Chicago) Railfanning on a Saturday
Author: petenromney

Hello everyone

I'm going to be in Chicago in a months time and was thinking of having some railfanning time. 
Am looking at getting METRA to Elmhurst on either a Saturday morning or afternoon. 
Viewing the schedules I realise I have a 2 hour wait for a ride back into town. 
Is Elmhurst worth a visit, am I likely to see plenty of UP action on a Saturday? 
Also without wishing to sound disrespectful to a neighbourhood is Elmhurst (Metra station area) a safe place to hang out?

Thanks in advance.
Pete in the UK. 

Date: 09/08/19 11:04
Re: Elmurst IL (Chicago) Railfanning on a Saturday
Author: P

Why only 2 hours?  I have done this a couple of times and there is a large amount of train traffic in Elmhurst.  BTW, the UP trains do not slow down through town.  This is a great choice for suburban Chicago railfanning and yes, it is a safe area.  You will not be disappointed.   

Date: 09/08/19 11:25
Author: ghemr

The Elmhurst Model RR Club is at 111 E 1st St. in the event you get bored with the real trains....

Date: 09/08/19 12:45
Author: Lackawanna484

Elmhurst was quite nice on my last visit, three years ago.

Food and restrooms available within a few hundred feet.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/08/19 16:35
Author: DJ-12

Elmhurst is a very safe suburban neighborhood. Lots of UP traffic and commuter trains which of course will be fewer on the weekend.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/19 17:14
Author: GPutz

Elmhurst is where I go for UP action when I'm in ChicagoLand.  Gerry

Date: 09/08/19 17:33
Author: BruceStikkers

My daughter lived there for 7 years and the area around the train station is very safe. There is a parking garage just west of the station a block or two on the north side of the track that provides wonderful vantage points. I have taken photos from there and have seen others do the same.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

Date: 09/08/19 18:09
Author: Bandito

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why only 2 hours?  I have done this a couple of
> times and there is a large amount of train traffic
> in Elmhurst.  BTW, the UP trains do not slow down
> through town.  This is a great choice for
> suburban Chicago railfanning and yes, it is a safe
> area.  You will not be disappointed.   
>  

Huh? Trains to and from Global II and Proviso are sure slow going through Elmhurst. The proximity of Elmhurst's downtown and crossings (especially York Rd) to Proviso and Global II is why they built an underground bypass below the tracks years ago. The freight passing through at normal speeds is going to/from Global I and/or interchanging in the city to NS and CSX.

Elmhurst is a really nice town and has a good business district. Not sure what the train activity is like compared to the BNSF line, where LaGrange is often considered to be the best spot owing to the proximity to the IHB.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds