Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wheeling and Lake Erie Questions

Date: 09/10/19 01:46
Wheeling and Lake Erie Questions
Author: PRR_4859

Good Morning:

Does the Wheeling and Lake Erie still run trains via trackage rights to Hagerstown, MD? If not, how long has it been? Their website map still shows the trackage rights in place. I remember seeing grain trains from them headed to the NS, but it has been years ago.

Also, were they restricted to grain trains by CSXT over this route, or were they permittedto handle other types of traffic?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 09/10/19 11:02
Re: Wheeling and Lake Erie Questions
Author: pennsy3750

Those are long gone; my recollection is that they came to an end in the mid-2000s when NS captured the traffic.

I don't know of them moving any other traffic via that route.  I don't think they even handled empty cars, but rather the power usually went back west as light engines.

Date: 09/10/19 17:46
Author: zars

I recall they moved left-over taconite (iron ore) pellets from the docks at Huron, Ohio to the steel mill at Sparrows Point in Baltimore, MD in 2009-2010; but both the docks and the steel mill have closed since then.

Date: 09/10/19 21:10
Author: holiwood

I remember some of the W&LE grain trains stalling on grades south of Front Royal, VA, then I think they started getting NS pushers 

Date: 09/11/19 06:31
Author: chapmaja

I have not heard of any trains running this route in a decade. With that said, I also have found nothing to indicate the trackage rights have been terminate either. This means that any day they could decide to run a train over those tracks that meets the criteria stated within the trackage rights agreement. 

Date: 09/11/19 11:54
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Indeed. However, these trains did not utilize the trackage rights. WLE handed these trains off to CSX in Connellsville, PA and they operated as K110 symbols with a CSX crew.

The Z416 grain trains were WLE crews.

zars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recall they moved left-over taconite (iron ore)
> pellets from the docks at Huron, Ohio to the steel
> mill at Sparrows Point in Baltimore, MD in
> 2009-2010; but both the docks and the steel mill
> have closed since then.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds