Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Is the phrase "Oral Meet" "official" terminology

Date: 09/10/19 18:38
Is the phrase "Oral Meet" "official" terminology
Author: DocJohn

I recently heard the phrase "Oral Meet" used in conjunction with railroad operations.  I that "official" terminology or was it made to mean "the people involved had to figure out what to do"?

John

Date: 09/10/19 18:57
Re: Is the phrase "Oral Meet" "official" terminology
Author: bioyans

With 30 years experience in the industry, and 25+ with a Class 1, that is the first I've ever heard of such a term.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/11/19 05:13
Author: NSSpike

I'll go out on a rail here and throw out a few possibilities.

Assuming this involved either the Griffin District or the Atlanta South District. On both Rule 261 applies.Signals Authorize train movement. Not having anymore information on the details it could have been one of the trains had a high & wide load EQ Equipment Restrictions Rule EQ14 Excessive Dimension Equipment applies and the dispatcher wanted to make sure they communicated as required. Or there is emphasis being placed on crews following Rule 174...Positive ID at meeting or passing points , which I have never not know for this to be an issue??

If both trains were operating on a Track Authority Rule 171 Non-Signaled Main Track-Mandatory Directive on the same track a “Block 10” would apply both operating at restricted speed “limits occupied” which in effect would require communicating at what could be called an Oral Meet. This occurs just about every day on the C-Line when G01 runs south into Carrollton and they meet G66.

One other possibility, there was a minor collision somewhere on the system, no injuries, minor to no equipment damage so the safety group sent out a reminder bulletin and in it they applied the term Oral Meet?  

With all dispatching out of Atlanta now it could be that the dispatcher involved came from another NS Division / District and that was a common phrase used in another part of the system to deal with any of the above listed items.  

I'll keep an ear out up this way and see if it is used.  

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 09/11/19 05:22
Author: exhaustED

Are you sure it wasn't 'oral meat'?

Date: 09/11/19 08:42
Author: mkerner

Probably has to do with RSS hand off would be my guess. The shortline my buddy works has to do a face to face hand off on LPG loads with the connecting railroad
Michael t Kerner
Collinsville, IL

Posted from Android

Date: 09/11/19 14:39
Author: WrongMain

I'm with Bioyans.  In over thirty years of Class One railroad service, I have never heard the term "oral meet."  Of course, I've never heard anyone refer to an engine consist as a "lashup'", neither.  Maybe, I didn't listen hard enough?

Date: 09/12/19 06:16
Author: WM_1109

Isn't that still illegal in like a dozen states?
/Ted

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds