Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Manville, NJ Lehigh RR overpass claims another truck

Date: 09/12/19 07:16
Manville, NJ Lehigh RR overpass claims another truck
Author: joemvcnj

"Trucks continuously get stuck underneath the train underpass despite signage posted."

This time, the northbound side. Moore often than not, it is the southbound side, which has a brand new sacrificial girder as a container truck destroyed the old one about a year ago

https://patch.com/new-jersey/bridgewater/s/gua0k/yet-another-truck-crashes-manville-underpass

Date: 09/12/19 07:30
Re: Manville, NJ Lehigh RR overpass claims another truck
Author: bioyans

Maybe a mandatory 30-day loss of CDL for first offense of a bridge or overhead clearance strike, would cause truckers to be a bit more careful.

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Trucks continuously get stuck underneath the
> train underpass despite signage posted."
>
> This time, the northbound side. Moore often than
> not, it is the southbound side, which has a brand
> new sacrificial girder as a container truck
> destroyed the old one about a year ago
>
> https://patch.com/new-jersey/bridgewater/s/gua0k/y
> et-another-truck-crashes-manville-underpass

Date: 09/12/19 07:43
Author: Lackawanna484

Definitely has a bullseye painted on it.

There may be some trigonometry involved here, however.  While the clearance from the roadway up to the bridge may be 17 feet, it isn't a useful number for a 53 foot trailer.

The tractor may already be on its way up the far side, as the back of the trailer is still on the way down.  So, they've eaten 3 or 4 feet of the 17 feet.  A deep plunge like the once in Manville is asking for trouble.

Date: 09/12/19 07:49

I know about the trigonmetric issues, but the underpass was built 80 years ago ? Why now such an issue ? "The GPS said to go that way" ? 

Date: 09/12/19 08:10
Author: dreese_us

Closer to Middlesex, there is a bridge marked 13ft, but no way will you get a 48’ x13’ high trailer under it. I do agree there are to many drivers that don’t pay attention.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/12/19 08:12

Often when they repave a road that once was concrete, they do not bother to asphalt the part under the overpass. That remains concrete probably so as not to disturb the clearances.

Date: 09/12/19 09:00
Author: rbenko

Speaking of bridge strikes, I'm sure this has been posted before, but it's now a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw

Date: 09/12/19 09:14

Some background Laurel & Hardy or Three Stooges music would be appropriate. I am surprised no tailgating 4-wheeler never rear-ended one of these trucks. The campers get their AC equipment lopped off, seem unphased, and keep going.

Date: 09/12/19 09:15
Author: ALCO630

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Often when they repave a road that once was
> concrete, they do not bother to asphalt the part
> under the overpass. That remains concrete probably
> so as not to disturb the clearances.

That's exactly why. that's also why they sell them pave over the top of bridges it can change the weight rating.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 09/12/19 09:25
Author: ALCO630

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Some background Laurel & Hardy or Three Stooges
> music would be appropriate. I am surprised no
> tailgating 4-wheeler never rear-ended one of these
> trucks. The campers get their AC equipment lopped
> off, seem unphased, and keep going.

They're not unphazed, they just don't know it happened yet. I know somebody that did it with a brand new 5th wheel camper trailer (however let me say now that it was not his fault, I know what bridge, and it was not marked right). He couldn't get the AC to work, so he took it back to the dealer to have it checked. imagine his surprise when he found out that the problem with the AC was that it was gone 😂

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 09/12/19 09:43
Author: Lackawanna484

There's an elaborate over height detector for the underpass of the NEC on Wood Avenue in Linden NJ. There's a horizontal bar with paint cans hanging to the appropriate height. Followed by a laser pair which calculate the acceptable distance. And set off a honking horn and laser lights.

Still, it gets hit every once in a while.

Date: 09/13/19 03:20
Author: mkerner

Just remember folks most states allow you to use a translator to take your CDL test. So if you can't read the test how do you read the signs?
Michael t Kerner
Collinsville, IL

Posted from Android

Date: 09/13/19 05:24

Arabic numerals state the clearances. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0837 seconds