Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS PTC Long Hood Forward Option Now Available

Date: 09/15/19 04:43
NS PTC Long Hood Forward Option Now Available
Author: NSSpike

Yesterday morning I heard the NS PTC Desk advise local  NS G36 ROME, GA KRANNERT / CEDARTOWN that PTC was now available
for long hood forward moves. The desk went on to indicate where in the menu to find the option.
Believe the power was NS #9514.

Guessing at this point this would only apply to NS power??
NSSpike

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 09/15/19 07:57
Re: NS PTC Long Hood Forward Option Now Available
Author: engineerinvirginia

CSX's PTC can be setup Long hood forward if needed and has had that ability from the beginning. When listing your engine consist, the first one has the ability to show it forward or backward....you choose the appropriate one. 

Date: 09/15/19 09:36
Author: mttrainman1

Yep, ran a 700 series ge last week long hood and ptc worked fine.  Unfortunately, I was in cab signal territory so I still had to run at restricted speed for this short run.

Date: 09/15/19 14:13

mttrainman1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep, ran a 700 series ge last week long hood and
> ptc worked fine.  Unfortunately, I was in cab
> signal territory so I still had to run at
> restricted speed for this short run.

Ouch!

Date: 09/15/19 18:12
Author: espeefan

If PTC is in place, what's the purpose of cab signals? I've never ran on cab signals so I don't know how similar or dissimilar they are to one another.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/15/19 19:59
Author: ble692

Wrong side of the country for this, but similar issues...

On the UP the orientation option has been available since the start. Short hood forward or long hood forward.

I believe the UP in cab signal territory is using PTC with the cab signals cut out, as long as the PTC is working. Should the PTC fail en-route then the cab signals must be cut in to continue.

Date: 09/17/19 17:54

On CSX so far as I know....cab signals must be cut in at all times except when there's a fault and cut out is authorized. We have three types of territory...RF&P...NEC....and NonCab....even in non cab territory you should be cut in. And PTC and Cab signals can work together. However where we have a cab signal rule that says, when you receive and upgraded signal in the cab, you can speed up to that signals indication immediately. However while PTC can afford the same information in non cab territory...when we see on PTC that the signal ahead has improved, we still have to run as the previous signal required until we SEE the next signal in the field. (or if restricted...all the way TO that signal) simply because we have no rule that allows picking up speed before you see a signal in the field. We are told we may get a more permissive rule similar to cab signal territory but they are going to look at the overall experiences of trains and how PTC perfoms before they do so. PTC so far does have hiccups that makes you want to run conservatively regardless.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds