Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Toledo, Peoria, & Western - the Orange One

Date: 09/15/19 11:35
Toledo, Peoria, & Western - the Orange One
Author: WrongMain

We traveled down to Watseka, IL Saturday, hoping to see some UP and CSX action on the joint line, shared by both railroads.  We arrived in town just in time to miss all the action, as usual...But the radio came alive on the TP&W frequency.  We couldn't quite make it out, but I figured the crew had to be switching somewhere, but WHERE?  We left town and headed east and the transmissions became clearer.  We made it into Sheldon as the crew was getting their train back in one piece.  Now, I really miss the old TP&W with the Alco's and early EMD's in the olive and cream, along with the red and white, too.  In fact, I kind of consider the railroad to be a fallen flag.  But the two back to back, consecutively numbered, SD40-2's sure looked good in their bright orange paint, given to them by TPW parent Genesee & Wyoming.  We caught them headed west slowly, and I do mean slowly, rattling the Kankakee, Beaverville, & Southern's ex NYC diamond right in downtown Sheldon.  Yep, I still like orange.

Date: 09/15/19 11:41
Re: Toledo, Peoria, & Western - the Orange One
Author: exhaustED

Nice clear shots. Those units are looking sharp!

Date: 09/15/19 12:07
Author: ghemr

Great photos----more TP&W stuff to add to your collection....

Date: 09/15/19 12:22
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Wow, you really nailed some nice shots of that one!  I'd take that over any Class 1 action there was.

Date: 09/15/19 13:42
Author: refarkas

The signal adds extra interest in photos one and two. First-rate photos.
Bob

Date: 09/15/19 14:59
Author: WrongMain

Thanks, guys.  Somebody asked me if this was the local or road freight.  I honestly don't know; does anyone have an idea.  I thought that the road freights ran at night?

Date: 09/15/19 15:00
Author: jbohdan2

You caught a rare move.  I often see TP&W power tied down either east of Sheldon or over toward Reynolds, but it has been years since I caught a move.  Very nice series of shots.

Date: 09/15/19 15:09
Author: 3rdswitch

Real nice catches. I guess better orange on the engines than rust on the rails.
JB

Date: 09/15/19 15:28
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 09/16/19 08:12
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!  My favorite is Pic 2!!

Date: 09/16/19 11:27
Author: MEKoch

Just east of Sheldon at Kentland, IN is a grain elevator operation on the east side of Kentland.  But there are NO tracks to this big elevator.   Any ideas why?   Don't they want rail service?    You see all this while driving on U.S. 24.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds