Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rbmn shutting down Jim Torpe runs

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/16/19 08:47
Rbmn shutting down Jim Torpe runs
Author: HB90MACH

https://www.rbmnrr.com/happenings/2019/10/16/lgsr-to-cease-operations-november-25-2019

this just came out.     This is what happens when greedy idiots are in charge.  The millions brought to town. And this is how the borough says thank you.  There goes alot
of
tourist dollars. 

That was such a beautiful ride in the fall. And the history.

Date: 10/16/19 08:54
Re: Rbmn shutting down Jim Thorpe runs
Author: Pattenburg

They certainly had a lot to offer from caboose rides, something my grandson enjoyed, to cab rides, which my wife found fascinating, which will surely be missed by a lot of people.

Date: 10/16/19 08:57
Author: markyk

sounds like they will just be moving base camp........

Date: 10/16/19 09:10
Author: Chessie

A shame but good on the railroad for taking a stand. 

Date: 10/16/19 09:34
Re: Rbmn shutting down Jim Torpe runs
Author: Lucasjames

Wow. Incredibly short sighted on the part of the borough. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Mr Mueller ran an absolute first class operation, arguably one of the best in the east behind Strasburg. Every one of their seasonal trips promoted 3 hours in Jim Thorpe (which honestly was usually 1 hour too much for me). Plus all the RDC trips out of Reading. There will be repercussions in Jim Thorpe. Thanks to RBMN and LGS for everything they have done.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/16/19 09:34
Author: Lucasjames

Wow. Incredibly short sighted on the part of the borough. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Mr Mueller ran an absolute first class operation, arguably one of the best in the east behind Strasburg. Every one of their seasonal trips promoted 3 hours in Jim Thorpe (which honestly was usually 1 hour too much for me). Plus all the RDC trips out of Reading. There will be repercussions in Jim Thorpe. Thanks to RBMN and LGS for everything they have done.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/16/19 09:56
Author: stevelv

Don't the merchants of Jim Thorpe have any say or does this idiot Mayor run the town like a dictatorship?  If I owned a business in town I'd be really pissed.  Maybe they should run the gorge trains out of Lehighton and just roll through Jim Thorpe without stopping.  I don't think Mayor A-hole will be re-elected after the townsfolk sees what the loss of the trains will do to the local economy.

Date: 10/16/19 10:24
Author: RDG630

Not the first time the town did anything like that, it is my understanding that at it's beginning Lehigh University wanted to locate there and was rejected by the town

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/16/19 10:56
Author: dschlegel

I had heard this rumor a few weeks from a guy that works for me. His girlfriend is a waitress at Molly Maguire’s pub across the street from the station. I said it was probably just a rumor because the train brings in a ton of business. I was wrong!!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/16/19 11:26
Author: callum_out

Sounds like the new crop of recent locals in Durango who want the train gone.

Out

Date: 10/16/19 18:00
Author: OCtrainguy

The town wanted the prior rail carrier out (which I think was run by George Hart) and the R&N came in, built a ticket booth attached to the old CNJ station and expanded the excursions being offered.  Running into the Lehigh Gorge State Park was an added bonus.  The crowds came, certain trains sold out.  The bicycle trains were a big hit.  It was a win-win for the town and the railroad.  Still don't see how a railroad can be charged an amusement tax.  

I've personally ridden the bike trains and the regular Lehigh Gorge trains.  I will miss the trains.  

Date: 10/16/19 19:11
Author: cabsignaldrop

Read the letter, well stated! I'm glad the railroad is standing up to the bullies in the city government. Hope this is a lesson to all government agencies.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/17/19 01:12
Author: ClubCar

cabsignaldrop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Read the letter, well stated! I'm glad the
> railroad is standing up to the bullies in the city
> government. Hope this is a lesson to all
> government agencies.
>
> Posted from Android
I agree 100%.  The sad part is for all the merchants and restaurant operators in Jim Thorp who will suffer.  It just shows that there are too many idiots running in politics.  These are very stupid government leaders for sure.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 10/17/19 07:39
Author: tomstp

I don't blame the railroad for telling them to "stick it".  Their freight business shows they are a working railroad.

Date: 10/17/19 07:47
Author: BKLJ611

tomstp Wrote:
> I don't blame the railroad for telling them to
> "stick it".  Their freight business shows they
> are a working railroad.

And they were quite proud of that fact when I rode the 425 excursion last weekend. The narrator was sure to point out the various rail yards and industries served by the railroad.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/17/19 08:18
Author: dan

boiling down to semantics

RR is working rr

passenger trains are excursions as far as i know

Date: 10/17/19 14:10
Author: ns1000

dan Wrote:
> boiling down to semantics
>
> RR is working rr
>
> passenger trains are excursions as far as i know

Boils down to government stupidity...

Posted from Android

Date: 10/17/19 14:22
Author: VaCentralRy

Venting on Trainorders, which will have little impact. Everyone who has ridden the trip could send a letter (with accompanying photos and copies of tickets from the LGSRR) to the fine government of Jim Thorpe explaining that the railroad was the reason you spent money at the fine merchants of the town. Add that with this decision you will be taking your tourism dollars elsewhere. If several hundred letters start arriving, that will do more than people complaining here.

John

Date: 10/17/19 14:45
Author: Lackawanna484

Date: 10/17/19 22:09
Author: SantaFeRuss

VaCentralRy Wrote:
>   Venting on Trainorders, which will have little
> impact. Everyone who has ridden the trip could
> send a letter (with accompanying photos and copies
> of tickets from the LGSRR) to the fine government
> of Jim Thorpe explaining that the railroad was the
> reason you spent money at the fine merchants of
> the town. Add that with this decision you will be
> taking your tourism dollars elsewhere. If several
> hundred letters start arriving, that will do more
> than people complaining here.
>
> John

John you make sence with what you have typed but Trainorders.com is also a forum of opinions, so people complaining should be ok as well.

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0667 seconds