Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Human Track Inspections

Date: 10/18/19 09:26
Human Track Inspections
Author: farmer

Federal Appeals Court has sided with BNSF railroad allowing unmanned track inspections to continue. BNSF claims its only a test and will allow human inspections twice a month.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/18/19 09:55
Re: Human Track Inspections
Author: Lackawanna484

Teams of human track inspectors are a regular sight on the NEC in NJ. Two or three people on foot, examining track, spikes and screws, etc.

I believe other people do the wire inspections

Posted from Android

Date: 10/18/19 13:07
Author: RRTom

Human inspection is essential.  Walking is best as a you can miss much in a hi-rail and the temptation to just get over the line is great.  There is a vital loop of human observation/problem solving/learning that would be broken if automated inspection goes too far.

Date: 10/18/19 15:25
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Kind of reminds me of those quality car inspections being done in Waycross. A quick drive-by in a Gator.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/19/19 11:44
Author: engineerinvirginia

Where I am the inspectors only walk yard tracks as a usual thing....too much wrong to be found after all....on the mainlines they only get out and walk if the they feel the gauge is out, taking their gauge rod with them. A practiced inspector ought to know where the suspicous places are and should be prepared to stop and look closely each time that place is encountered....but a good line in tight gauge should be observable in cab with low speed. 

Date: 10/19/19 13:34
Author: ALCO630

What are they inspecting with?

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 10/19/19 13:51
Author: Lackawanna484

Is there a requirement that class 6 track has been walked within the last several dayz?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/19/19 14:39

O dunno...the track I run don't go above Class 4

Date: 10/19/19 17:27
Author: xrds72

For Class 6 and above (and generally for all classes) the FRA's Compliance Manual (which lays out how the FRA will interpret and apply each section of the reg) has the following statement:

"This section requires that each inspection performed in accordance with the schedule must be made on foot or by riding over the track in a vehicle at a speed that allows the person making the inspections to visually inspect the track structure for compliance."

That permits some discretion on the part of the inspector is how to accomplish the required inspections. The key is they have to be able to find and report what is there. Also, once they find something they MUST take the appropriate remedial action BEFORE THE NEXT TRAIN. 

Technology is nice and a big help in finding things but a good track inspector also as a well calibrated "ass-ometer" 

Date: 10/19/19 18:40

ALCO630 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are they inspecting with?
>
> Posted from Android

A gauge rod....that is set to proper gauge....and maybe some other tools if they are required to do quicky repairs if it can prevent putting out a slow order.

Date: 10/19/19 18:51
Author: farmer

ALCO630 Wrote:
> What are they inspecting with?
>
> Posted from Android

The human replacement is a drone.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/19/19 19:41
Author: ALCO630

farmer Wrote:
> ALCO630 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What are they inspecting with?
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
>
> The human replacement is a drone.
>
> Posted from iPhone

I'm sure that works well.

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 10/21/19 06:59
Author: Interlocker

farmer Wrote:
> Federal Appeals Court has sided with BNSF railroad
> allowing unmanned track inspections to continue.
> BNSF claims its only a test and will allow human
> inspections twice a month.
>
> Posted from iPhone

'Just saw this, Farmer. This just fills me with all kinds of confidence for my next trip.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds