Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lancaster & Chester

Date: 11/18/19 09:07
Lancaster & Chester
Author: salrwy

A couple views Saturday of the L&C, still an interesting shortline.

Date: 11/18/19 10:00
Re: Lancaster & Chester
Author: colehour

I ran across this reference to their Official Guide entry from some years ago (1950s?) It's worth perusing for a few laughs. I'm sure I didn't catch all of the references.

At one time the railroad served the Springmaid factory, which manufactured textiles, I believe. Springmaid bedding is still sold, but I have no idea of whether it is the same company or whether the factory still exists.

Date: 11/18/19 10:05
Author: BobB

I've heard a story, which may or may not be true, that the Lancaster and Chester managed to get Gypsy Rose Lee to come down to unveil a plaque or something similar, thus fulfilling her vice-presidential duties.

Date: 11/18/19 10:27
Author: colehour

BobB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard a story, which may or may not be true,
> that the Lancaster and Chester managed to get
> Gypsy Rose Lee to come down to unveil a plaque or
> something similar, thus fulfilling her
> vice-presidential duties.

Apparently Elliott Springs had lots of connections and clout. The textile mill (which I have learned no longer functions) was one of the largest in the USA. He also was a WWI flying ace and author. He is credited as a writer of the scripts for several movies.

He had Admiral "Bull" Halsey as VP in charge of Scotch (White Horse), and Clair Maxwell, publisher of Life at one time, as "news butcher." Anton Hulman is famous for purchasing and reviving the Indianapolis Speedway; his family were benefactors of the Rose-Hulman Institute in Terre Haute, IN. Many railfans will recognize Lucius Beebe and, like Beebe, Springs had his own private rail car that he used as an office.

All in all, I suspect that people had a good time on the L & C!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/19 11:01 by colehour.

Date: 11/18/19 11:06

Yes Gypsy Rose Lee came to Lancaster.

Date: 11/18/19 12:07
Author: retcsxcfm

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BobB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

>
> Apparently Elliott Springs had lots of connections
> on the L & C!

Spring Made Mills.In ads as Spring Maid. Some
very nice bed sheets.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 11/18/19 12:57
Author: refarkas

Good set of photos. Those silos really make photo one more interesting.
Bob

Date: 11/18/19 15:31
Author: EL833

I'm wanting to say the blue pup (91) is owned by the mill now, it's just still in a faded L&C paint. Question- did you see any of the road freights ? Curious if any of the "new" former CSX units are out and running yet.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 11/18/19 16:53
Author: boejoe

You can see Gypsy Rose's name in the center column above of the Official Guide entry.  "Vice President of Unveiling"  (very appropriate).  I once Googled the L&C and found the photo of her that is also referenced above along with some other interesting pics.

What and where is the passenger car seen in the background of the last photo above?

Date: 11/18/19 18:07

No the SD60Ms are outside shop building, not running yet if they are to run at all.

91 I think is leased to or owned by mill.

Car in background came from Myrtle Beach or Chadbourn operation. Interestingly has San Luis & Rio Grande reorting marks. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/19 18:08 by salrwy.

Date: 11/19/19 02:25
Author: Mgoldman

Here are a few more Lancaster & Chester photos - albeit from Pennsylvania at the New Hope & Ivyland
Railroad - circa: 2013:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3082107,3082107#msg-3082107

/Mitch

Date: 11/19/19 18:40

Nice

Date: 11/20/19 06:17
Author: ctillnc

Regarding their law officers, Bobby Jones really did practice law in Atlanta after his health precluded golf. Charlie Norfleet was a high-profile citizen in Winston-Salem and CEO at Wachovia Bank.

Date: 12/14/19 13:33
Author: KCFAN

Does anyone have photo's of the L&C GE 70Tonners they had before the SW's arrived ?
I rode on them in 1962, as a kid, Father was VP at GE. They needed a GE person to say they were in Good condition, before selling.

Fun and nosey and very rough ride... But lots of fun for a kid

Date: 12/14/19 13:40
Author: Lackawanna484

The Springmaid Line. Was on many boxcars.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0493 seconds