Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Last train of East Coas Trip DL PO75 in Scranton PA

Date: 11/20/19 05:52
Last train of East Coas Trip DL PO75 in Scranton PA
Author: erielackawanna

With so much of the Pocono Main running through remote areas where a train can sneak by you, railfanning the Delaware Lackawanna is challenging and involves a bit of guessing no matter how much information you have.. You have to make choices based on shots you want and what you know. Even then, things change out on the line and your plans can be thwarted. That was the story of my last day, which you could boil down to being the day I spent waiting at Steamtown for the PO75. Reality is it was a great day, on which I caught the local job a couple times, toured Steamtown, and saw the autum leaves. But it was also the day that there was neither a PO74 or a PO75 to roll through Steamtown.

The story of the PO75 that day was that they either ran east from Pocono Summit to Slateford Jct or that they had already run down to Slateford Jct the night before. Either way, from early in the morning there was a westbound train due at Scranton so rather than risk missing the train, I set up for the shot from the mall bridge. By mid-afternoon I learned they were at Devil's Hole. I could have raced down there, but decided I'd use the time for the Steamtown tour. When I got out of the tour, I waited at the bridge again, finally hearing the train call the DS to say they were too long, so were leaving the train at Jacobson Hat. Even then, I didn't have enough information, as I assumed they would bring the power back into the yard, and with four units, thought that would still be a nice shot from the bridge. When they never arrived, I drove out and found them tied down, with power at Jacobson Hat. Grabbed some shots before driving straight to the airport for a nonstop flight back to Los Angeles. 

Here are the images. Pretty cool train for my final shots of the trip.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/19 12:50 by erielackawanna.

Date: 11/20/19 06:11
Re: Last train of East Coas Trip DL PO75 in Scranton PA
Author: Lackawanna484

You had a great east coast trip, thanks for sharing some of the highlights

Date: 11/20/19 06:13
Author: refarkas

Great series. These are hard to beat for final photos of a trip.
Bob

Date: 11/20/19 08:28
Author: DJ-12

The perils of shortline railfanning. Definitely a risk-reward proposition!

Date: 11/20/19 09:36
Author: Pattenburg

Enjoyed your account of this trip. Thanks for taking us along from the comfort of our home...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0594 seconds