Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > R & N: "Awesome Railroad" & "Maxi-Railfan Event" in 2020

Date: 11/27/19 16:12
R & N: "Awesome Railroad" & "Maxi-Railfan Event" in 2020
Author: RuleG

Today a very nice message from Andy Muller to his employees was posted on the Reading & Northern website:

To all the MOW employees, I want to say Awesome Railroad. To all the rest of the employees, I just want to say that I just rode the Main line at track speed, and I’m very impressed. You have all outdone yourselves to build a Main line that matches any class 1 railroad.

Additionally, he has announced a "Maxi-Railfan Event," an excursion from Reading Outer Station to Pittston, PA via the new Nesquehoning Bridge which will be run April 18, 2020.

Here's a link to the full appreciation & announcement:

https://www.rbmnrr.com/happenings/2019/11/27/awesome-railroad

As a rail enthusiast who enjoyed a Reading & Northern excursion at the beginning of this month, I'd also have to say "Awesome Railroad!"

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/19 16:15 by RuleG.

Date: 11/27/19 19:54
Re: R & N: "Awesome Railroad" & "Maxi-Railfan Event" in 2020
Author: OCtrainguy

That's very cool!  I walked past the Nesquehoning connectir bridge last month, and they are really making progress on it. 

Date: 11/27/19 21:03
Author: jointauthority

I wish my railroad would be more like RBMN and Andy.

They seem like a class act.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/27/19 23:05
Author: pdt

There is truely no other RR like the R&N in this country...
-over 30,000 carloads handled per year
-over 120,000 passengers handled per year

-HQ and shops built in classic 100 year old RR architecture style, even with classic reflecter tagets on hand throw switches
-CTC, power switches and signaling installed on much of the RR, which was 100% dark when purchased from CR
-New bridge being built over the Lehigh River.  Not a replacement...this is new trackage to eliminate a switchback
-Reading (PA) out station rebuilt in classic style (the old station was completely gone) , and used for passenger service
-RDC's bought and rebuilt for passenger service !!!!!!!  (currently in service)
-2 derelict, and 2 NS F units bought for passenger service.
-And , its a profitable RR employing over 250 ppl.

I rode one of their excursions up into coal country years ago...I bought out most of the seats in the Catawissa dome cars for me and my friends (ok, they helpped pay for it).  It was a great trip, and Andy was on the train asking how we liked it.   The interest in the RR is top down.  Not like a lot of others where the CEO sits in his office and counts pennies.

Too bad there are not more RR's like this that embrace freight, passenger, and heritage...and make a profit doing it.     

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/19 09:08 by pdt.

Date: 11/28/19 07:28
Author: scoobydoobydoo

Where abouts is this new bridge located,Is it Steel,concrete or wooden....Scoob in Ohio

Date: 11/28/19 07:31
Author: bluesboyst

This is how the Class 1's should be, and at one time were. But, we can thank greed and Wall St for the way they are now.

Date: 11/28/19 08:08
Author: RuleG

scoobydoobydoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where abouts is this new bridge located,Is it
> Steel,concrete or wooden....Scoob in Ohio

It is a steel bridge being built over the Lehigh River just west of Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania.

https://www.tnonline.com/building-bridge

Date: 11/29/19 03:50
Author: Pattenburg

scoobydoobydoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where abouts is this new bridge located,Is it
> Steel,concrete or wooden....Scoob in Ohio
It is located at Nesquehoning Junction. Here it is nearing completion in a photo taken on November 3, 2019.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds