Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Eatonton, GA

Date: 12/03/19 20:13
NS Eatonton, GA
Author: DocJohn

I was through Eatonton earlier today (Tuesday, 12/3).  NS is doing significant tie and surfacing on this litttle-used line.  Enf of track is at a factory just north of Eatonton although line probably went west to connect with another line at Shady Dale.  Track goes south from Eatonton through Milledgeville and down to Gordon where it joins the NS linr between Macon and Savannah.

John

Date: 12/04/19 06:22
Re: NS Eatonton, GA
Author: ctillnc

Prior to the Civil War, the CofG got their hands on the Eatonton Branch RR (Milledgeville-Eatonton) and the Milledgeville & Gordon (Milledgeville-Gordon, on the Macon-Savannah main line). In 1897, the CofG acquired the Middle Georgia & Atlantic that ran Milledgeville-Covington. Thus the CofG forged a complete route Covington-Gordon via Shady Dale/Machen, Eatonton, and Milledgeville. The MG&A had intended to build to Atlanta, but that never happened. Instead the CofG extended the line to Porterdale in 1899.

The first abandonment came in 1959, Eatonton-Machen. NS abandoned Covington-Porterdale in 1988. Shortlines got involved between Covington and Shady Dale/Machen, but Covington-Newborn was abandoned in 2013. Last I heard, CaterParrott Railnet was still operating Newborn-Shady Dale/Machen in theory but the last customer in Newborn had closed and the line became moribund although not technically abandoned.

Not sure what is motivating improvements Eatonton-Milledgeville, but Eatonton had several customers online.

Date: 12/04/19 07:18
Re: NS Eatonton, GA
Author: Trainhand

Thanks for the history of tis area. My father was a bridge gang foreman for the CofGa. I have been to many of the places mentioned, and knew of all of them. It is interesting how the merger game played out in the late 19'th and early 20'th centuries. RR's buying and combining each other has been going on for longer than most of us know. Someone with more knowledge than I might can answer this, did this early consolidating of RR's produce the New York Dock and Oregon Shortline agreements which give employees effected by mergers some protection?

Thanks.

Sam

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0295 seconds