Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Seven trains in seven miles in an hour today north of Cincinnati

Date: 12/08/19 19:43
Seven trains in seven miles in an hour today north of Cincinnati
Author: tq-07fan

After an incident while working on the Sperry car I have been afraid of heights. Hanging up the Christmas lights is not a fun thing for me if I put them across the porch so I try to put it off. Today I thought I would get plastic hooks so it could go faster and easier next time. I grabbed the scanner and headed for Menards but heard two NS trains passing each other somewhere in Lockland. I immediately turned and headed toward the signals at 252 where the westbound I had heard was slowing to a stop. Turning off I-75 onto Paddock revealed another westbound which was being held out at 66th Street. I drove into Elmwood Place to see the westbound when I heard someone call Clear signals at Winton Place and NA Tower, which meant I had an eastbound coming. I relocated to Maple St and ended up getting 41J with a short train of covered hoppers passing 177 which had been released from 66th street by the dispatcher. 
1) 41J crossing Maple Street in Elmwood Place. It was a warm day today so I was surprised no one was out shooting hoops.
2) 41J passing 177 that is Elmwood Ave in the background.
3) 177 which had their lights dimmed to pass 41J now has them on bright.

Date: 12/08/19 19:45
Re: Seven trains in seven miles in an hour today north of Cincinn

I had parked on the RR north / compass west side of the tracks for easy exodus. 41J was slow pulling the grade that exists for much of the way through Elmwood Place. I caught all the lights and got 41J again around 75 th street in the Carthage section of Cincinnati. Just compass north is 77th street which is another popular place to hold trains out of Cincinnati on the NS Dayton District.
4) 41J again just cresting the grade. I-75 and the Paddock Rd exit are on the other side of the building.
5) 41J passing the westbound I had originally heard on the scanner. I was never able to identify it.
6) NOT INCLUDED I don't want the TO Police to go nuts so picture six of the fourth train will not be shown. Leave it at.

Date: 12/08/19 19:48

Heading on north T96 was on the Mill Connection that connects the I & O Oasis Branch, formerly the PRR Richmond Branch with the former NYC Cincinnati Line, now the Dayton District of the Norfolk Southern at what is now CP 248. The Mill Connection was one of the first tracks built by the Penn Central. A little north of that you can easily get to the west end of Sharonville Yard where I was for the next three trains.
7) T96 had to wait on 41J but had already came under Glendale Milford Rd by the time I got there. T96 operates from Sharonville to Clare Yard and partially replaced the TQ-07 from my handle on TO. Lately it has been running more as a first shift train.
8) 60A, a steel coil train for AK Steel in Middletown was ran through the yard as 179 was coming down Gano Hill.
9) 60A was running with one unit up front and a one unit DPU on the rear. 60A gets a recrew at Sharonville, it is a high senority run.

Date: 12/08/19 19:50

The double track mainline of the New York Central and on into Penn Central ran through the middle of Sharonville Yard. Late Penn Central or early Conrail a single track bypass track was built on the RR south / compass east side of the yard between CP 244 (CP Hill St) and CP 248 (CP Mill). All these where within seven miles of each other and in just under an hour. By the time I got the hooks for the lights and got home I climbed up on my porch and decided it was too late to get started, a task that will wait for another day!
10) A cropped picture, you can see the headlight in the distance for 179, T96 which was running around their train and the 60A. All three were moving I think.
11) 179 with all four units up front, like hey are supposed to be.
12) Finally, a former Boston and Maine Covered hopper for freight car fans.

Thank You for Looking!

Jim

Date: 12/08/19 20:47
Author: joeygooganelli

I actually took notice of that B&M car going by me today. How many of those left running around in 2019?

Joe

Date: 12/08/19 21:15
Author: P

joeygooganelli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I actually took notice of that B&M car going by me
> today. How many of those left running around in
> 2019?
>
> Joe

There are several of these and they make regular appearances on Dayton District trains. Very cool

Posted from Android

Date: 12/09/19 03:37
Author: algoma11

Those B & M hoppers are regulars on train #422 -  Buffalo -Toronto.

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 12/09/19 04:25
Author: MdRailfan

There are several B&M covered hoppers that frequent  36A and 37A into and out of Wilmington, Del,

Date: 12/09/19 06:54
Author: scraphauler

T96 is now an AM train. On duty 5 or 6 I believe. Operates Sunday thru Thursday. Interchanges with CCET and switches the Thoroughbred Bulk Terminal operation at Clare OH. Sunday is almost always exclusively CCET interchange and this train shown is no exception.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0793 seconds