Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Freight action on NJT's Main & Bergen County Line on 1/2/20

Date: 01/05/20 08:31
Freight action on NJT's Main & Bergen County Line on 1/2/20
Author: Passfanatic

On the second day of 2020, I was able to railfan in Bergen County and wasn't just amused by the passenger trains. I was able to photograph a few NS freights as well. Here are the shots.
1. I think this is H55 which is passing the Ridgewood NJT Station.
2. This is just a NS engine running long hood pulling one car passing through Ridgewood as well.
3. A northbound NS freight local passes Mahwah Station. I think this one was heading to Suffern.

Date: 01/05/20 08:49
Re: Freight action on NJT's Main & Bergen County Line on 1/2/20
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for sharing. There are a lot of wonderful "props" along the Erie line.

The restored tower and station at Waldwick, the tower at Ridgewood Jct, the Collins curve, the triple bridge at Hawthorne, etc.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/05/20 09:09

Anytime! Collins Curve is interesting to watch the trains wherever there is public space. For taking pictures-beyond too many shadows for the most part, I think. Waldwick Station and the tower there is pretty nice, During the warmer months, Ramsey is great in the late afternoon and early evening, especially the open grass at the south end of the eastbound platform.

Date: 01/05/20 12:34
Author: RayH

Ridgewood sure looks different now, especially in the second shot to the right of 5614. There weren't too many buildings there when I left in 1981, and there WAS a siding there for the occasional newprint boxcars for the local newspaper. Of course one main track is missing too... :(

Date: 01/05/20 12:58

Tons of brand new development has been going up in communities all over the metropolitan area and NJ is no exception. On the east side of the tracks and across the street, there is going to be new development going up. Hopefully it will not create too many shadows on the tracks. Ridgewood is a pretty cool station to railfan. Ridgewood is a true commuter town.

Date: 01/05/20 13:36

Passfanatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tons of brand new development has been going up in
> communities all over the metropolitan area and NJ
> is no exception. On the east side of the tracks
> and across the street, there is going to be new
> development going up. Hopefully it will not create
> too many shadows on the tracks. Ridgewood is a
> pretty cool station to railfan. Ridgewood is a
> true commuter town.

The affluence also makes Ridgewood a top dining town.  Many good places to find a meal.  It's usually on a short list with Montclair, Westfield, Morristown, etc. Also railroad towns

Date: 01/05/20 14:21

I live in Montclair and while it might appear to be a railroad town, sadly, we have no weekend train service west of Bay Street. Had Gateway been done by now, we probably would have. Even if it was hourly shuttle service to NWK Broad St with connections to NYP, I would be fine with that. Morristown and Westfield have hourly rail service on weekends at the very least and more service during the rush hour. Ridgewood is very fortunate to have at least two trains each way per hour with the three train per hour in each direction throughout the day. Many of the Pt. Jervis Line trains during off peak hours and on weekends stop in Ridgewood, even the expresses. Having an express train stop in Ridgewood helps speed up travel time.

Date: 01/05/20 15:33
Author: krm152

Very nice photos.  They have a lot to like mos especially the standard cabs.
Thanks for the posting.
ALLEN

Date: 01/05/20 16:04
Author: RayH

Passfanatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ridgewood is a
> pretty cool station to railfan. 
Back around 1971, I was like the boy on the bicycle (from Bill Rettberg's past last week) at Ridgewood station. I later discovered WJ Tower and spent a LOT of time there in the mid 70's. 

Date: 01/07/20 08:40
Author: toledopatch

I'm looking at photographing trains on the ex-Erie side during the evening commuter rush sometime this spring or summer. Can anyone suggest two or three don't-miss locations, especially for catching the Metro North engines on trains?

Date: 01/07/20 12:34

The Port Jervis trains generally run via the Bergen County line on weekdays.  

The restored Waldwick tower would qualify. as an iconic view.  The iron bridge carrying NY 59 over the railroad north of Suffern, too.

The Ramapo River waterfalls are a morning shot. Things may have changed in the last decade, but the area was starting to fill in with trees. About three miles north of Tuxedo Park station.

Salisbury Mills / Cornwall is at the west end of Moodna Viaduct, evening sun should be on the nose of a westbound.  Passing the Erie station in Port Jervis. The current station is about a mile west, in the old roundhouse area.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds