Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Progress Rail, Muncie, Indiana

Date: 01/19/20 05:47
Progress Rail, Muncie, Indiana
Author: KingCoal

Stopped by Progress Rail facility yesterday after lunch.  Found these locomotives in front of the building.  Photo from across the street.

John

Date: 01/19/20 08:53
Re: Progress Rail, Muncie, Indiana
Author: alamode

Do you have a better pic of the black unit in the background? That should be one of the SD70ACe-T4s from the cancelled NS order. The three in UP color are ones that were refused by UP. Thanks

Date: 01/19/20 11:18
Author: callum_out

Great marketing material, "refused", "cancelled".

Out 

Date: 01/19/20 12:14
Author: inCHI

Yeah that is wild, I never realized UP also refused some. What other example is there of a manufacturer who couldn't sell engines so they just made a lease fleet of them and somehow continued to stay open?

Date: 01/19/20 12:47
Author: KDC

I just don’t understand why the industry is so secretive about these locomotives. It’s not as if the general public is buying any and the people that are know what is good and bad about them. You would think that electrically, the SD70ACe-T4 should be solid. With regards to the prime mover, the EMD 4 stroke has been out for 25 plus years...come on! The carriers beef about T4 is so self inflicted. There is no known successful recirc prime movers, that I’m aware of and the carriers still dictated that the suppliers develop recirc over DEF. So what are we missing here, a setup for failure!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/19/20 13:41
Author: Grover

Are you saying the reliability issues associated with the new 1010J prime mover is result of the decision to go with EGR vs. selective catalytic converter?  I'm not suggesting I disagree, just asking.

Date: 01/19/20 15:59
Author: hartrick24

Is the numbers on, what was going to be UP, a renumber by Progress Rail or a new number from UP?

Steve H

Date: 01/19/20 17:57
Author: SOO6617

Progress Rail numbers to fit in the range for their lease fleet.

Date: 01/19/20 19:20
Author: KingCoal

Sorry, I did not get a closer photo.

John

Posted from Android

Date: 01/20/20 10:21
Author: ble692

I guess that answers the question of whether the units refused by the UP were actually painted for the UP or not. It is interesting to note that the cab numbers on the 7228, 7229, and 7230 are in the UP font, even though those are not the numbers they would have had if the UP had actually accepted them.

Date: 01/20/20 10:36
Author: Grand87

UP had option to purchase, these units painted UP, all tested on CSX,NS and CN to name a few.

Date: 01/20/20 11:03
Author: alamode

Grand87 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UP had option to purchase, these units painted UP,
> all tested on CSX,NS and CN to name a few.

UP refused 5 units that were already ordered - not an option. The units in the photo above have not operated on a railroad yet.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds