Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > So how many pounds of cocoa beans can these silos hold?

Date: 01/20/20 16:34
So how many pounds of cocoa beans can these silos hold?
Author: Pattenburg

In a scene I have photographed many times in the past, NS H24 heads west to deliver some cars to the Hershey (PA) plant on January 20th. As NS 3022 (ex-CR 3315; GP 40-2) brings its consist past the silos that once were used for storing cocoa beans. That got me wondering about those silos and motivated me to do some research about them. There are twenty-four silos, measure thirty feet in diameter and stand 130 feet tall. Back in 2014 there was talk that perhaps these silos might become condos! Regarding how many cocoa beans those silos can hold when filled to capacity they are able to hold ninety million pounds of cocoa beans. No wonder the smell of cocoa was in the air when they were in use.

Date: 01/20/20 16:47
Re: So how many pounds of cocoa beans can these silos hold?
Author: GRNDMND

I've long been a fan of Hershey's products, but they moved production of much of their stuff to Mexico. Acouple of possible reasons comes to mind,
closer to source for the cocoa beans, but cheaper labor is probably the primary reason.

KC

Date: 01/20/20 16:54
Author: wabash2800

Yes, most of our Halloween candy comes from Mexico. I hope the water quality is supervised. I just hate to see the trick-or-treaters get Montezuma's Revenge. As a kid in the 1960s, I think we went by Hershey and remember signs including one animated one. Industrial Pennsylvania in those days was a bit filthy but fun to view for a kid interested in trains.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

GRNDMND Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've long been a fan of Hershey's products, but
> they moved production of much of their stuff to
> Mexico. Acouple of possible reasons comes to
> mind,
> closer to source for the cocoa beans, but cheaper
> labor is probably the primary reason.
>
> KC

Date: 01/21/20 05:41
Author: Juniata

I remember touring the Hershey plant in the ‘60’s on a class field trip. Back then you actually went through the plant. And at the end of the tour they gave you a big Hershey bar.

Oh for the “good ole days”...

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/21/20 06:28
Author: drsilverstreak

Cocao smell mostly came from packaging cocoa powder.  Also although Hershey did move some production to Mexico, much of it stayed in Hershey as they tripled the size of their modern (more efficient) West Hershey plant.  Both the old plant and the new platn are rail served as is the Recee's plant. Sadly the smell is gone.

Date: 01/21/20 11:02
Author: K3HX

The former Quaker Oats silos in Akron, OH are now apartments.
At the time of the conversion, it was the largest use of diamond-tipped
saws.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert  K3HX

Date: 01/21/20 13:22
Author: callum_out

The plant in Oakdale CA that made the "Kisses" is also history, Hershey built a very nice visitors center "downtown", shame
to see it go.

Out 

Date: 01/22/20 03:42
Author: IC1038west

drsilverstreak Wrote:

> Cocao smell mostly came from packaging cocoa
> powder.... Sadly the smell is gone.

So is West Hershey not roasting anymore? Are the cakes and liquors done offsite? Always enjoyed the aromatic side benefits of the bean roasting process during chocolate production.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/20 03:42 by IC1038west.

Date: 01/22/20 05:49
Author: drsilverstreak

To be honest I don't really know.  Hershey hasn't been very forthcoming on what they do or don't do at West Hershey.  They very very rarely allow visitors.  I didn't see the equipmet that was used in the old Hershey plant for actually mamking the chocholate (roasters, conches etc) and have heard rumors that it make by contractor(s) in Philadelphia.  Might make sense becasue the bean are imported through the Port of Philadelphia.

Date: 01/22/20 05:54
Author: abyler

Pattenburg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In a scene I have photographed many times in the
> past, NS H24 heads west to deliver some cars to
> the Hershey (PA) plant on January 20th. As NS 3022

No sign of boxcars anymore at Hershey it seems like?  Do they still ship the cocoa beans that way in sacks from Philadelphia or did the trucks finally get this move?  Used to be 5 or more boxcars a day moving from South Philly to Hershey.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds