Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Port Chester...... Room With A View

Date: 02/07/20 04:45
Port Chester...... Room With A View
Author: bbethmann

Working on the redesign of a music venue in Port Chester and first trip to walk the venue had me Expediaizing hotel possibilities in the Rye area. Ended up at the Courtyard by Marriott in Rye, NY which had several rows of suites backing up to the MetroNorth/NEC quad tracks. Took a 4th floor room which had a nice view of said tracks (view may be somewhat compromised once the tree line leafs-over).

Trying to work in my room was a challenge as there seemed to be either an Amtrak NEC or MetroNorth train every 5 minutes. This western boy was astonished as I rarely saw anything this busy in good ole Spokane.

The hotel offers in-house breakfast and dinner, not in the room price, that is quite delectable. Great WiFi, pool, gym, etc ...... for +/- $145/night. Uber problems had me cabbing everywhere which service was readily available. They gave me a good corporate rate as I will be visiting often. Really great customer service completes my high recommendation for this hotel.

Question for you NEC folks, why do the trains “short-blast” at this location? I could not observe anything trackside that would prompt this except possibly a short warning blast to get the attention of patrons at nearby station platforms.

Happy travels!

BB in Port Chester this week.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/07/20 09:14
Re: Port Chester...... Room With A View
Author: nm2320

bbethmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Question for you NEC folks, why do the trains
> “short-blast” at this location? I could not
> observe anything trackside that would prompt this
> except possibly a short warning blast to get the
> attention of patrons at nearby station platforms.
>

Sometimes horn is sounded when passing station platform and not stopping. Electric trains are very quiet. Also this station's platforms are on a curve which may also be a reason, even for stopping trains. 

Date: 02/07/20 09:29
Author: toledopatch

nm2320 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bbethmann Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Question for you NEC folks, why do the trains
> > “short-blast” at this location? I could not
> > observe anything trackside that would prompt
> this
> > except possibly a short warning blast to get
> the
> > attention of patrons at nearby station
> platforms.
> >
>
> Sometimes horn is sounded when passing station
> platform and not stopping. Electric trains are
> very quiet. Also this station's platforms are on a
> curve which may also be a reason, even for
> stopping trains.

It's pretty standard for anything approaching Metro-North platforms on Tracks 3 or 4 to give a short blast, whether or not they're stopping, and as noted above the platforms at Rye station are on a curve.

Date: 02/07/20 16:38
Author: Ritzville

Glad your having a great time back East Bill! Things are very swampy in Ritzville, WA after 5 inch snow melt and rain.

Larry

Date: 02/08/20 04:46
Author: JPB

toledopatch Wrote:
>
> It's pretty standard for anything approaching
> Metro-North platforms on Tracks 3 or 4 to give a
> short blast, whether or not they're stopping, and
> as noted above the platforms at Rye station are on
> a curve.

Connecticut's US Senator Richard Blumenthal learned this at the Metro North Milford station about 5 years ago - ironically he was conducting a presser on the station platform to harangue Metro North about its safety record. If anyone wants to see how Blumenthal was educated about the approaching train toot, search YouTube for "Blumenthal train".

Date: 02/08/20 05:12
Author: joemvcnj

He easily could have become roadkill. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.057 seconds