Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Delaware Lackawanna, Reading & Northern and NS in NEPA 1/17

Date: 02/07/20 10:56
Delaware Lackawanna, Reading & Northern and NS in NEPA 1/17
Author: sscannella

Three weeks ago I spent Friday around Scranton / Wilkes-Barre again, and captured some DL, RBMN, and NS action in the area.  (Been busy with some home projects and haven't had a chance to post until now.)  Two Delaware-Lackawanna crews were starting their day in Downtown Scranton at Bridge 60, one working the BR1 local around town (eventually bringing interchange cars to the NS at Taylor Yard), while the other crew grabbed two 4-axle Alcos and took a small train north on the former D&H main toward Carbondale as SC7.

Date: 02/07/20 10:58
Re: Delaware Lackawanna, Reading & Northern and NS in NEPA 1/17
Author: refarkas

Those ALCO/MLW lashups make for great looking images.
Bob

Date: 02/07/20 11:00

I headed down to the former Lehigh Valley Coxton Yard near Pittston, PA to get their PISB job to Scranton prepping to leave.  They had the Pittston Yard job tacked onto their hind end to take up to Taylor Yard to grab their interchange cars there from the NS.  The YJPI happened to have one of the former Lehigh Valley pups as their power this day.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/20 11:08 by sscannella.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/07/20 11:07

PISB / YJPI at Old Forge and Taylor Yd....

Date: 02/07/20 11:15

Then it was then down to Wilkes-Barre to catch the NS's Enola-Binghamton 14R crossing the Susquehanna River on the former Wilkes-Barre Connecting Railroad (connected the PRR at Wilkes-Barre and D&H at Hudson).  After that I took a couple hour break to do the usual chores at my mother's house.

Came back out in time to catch the Reading and Northern's return leg of PISB, now symbolled SBPI, passing through the south end of Taylor Yard onto its own trackage at Minooka (former DL&W Bloom Line).   I nearly had a good meet with the Delaware-Lackawanna's BR1 job (running as DL3 on NS), which came down from the Steamtown Wye through CPF-672 to back off 40 empties at the south end of Taylor Yard (interchange usually occurs at the north end of the yard.)

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/07/20 11:17

The BR1 / DL3 pulling south of the control point, then shoving back into the yard.   DL had a NS scale care this day, which they occasional get to test the scale at the grain mill in Mt. Pocono.

Date: 02/07/20 11:23

I finished up the day by heading up north toward Carbondale to try to intercept the DL SC7 job which had headed north earlier in the day.  I finally found them switching Laminations in Archbald, and was only able to get the return of the two lite 4-axle Centuries backing out onto the main in Archbald and then passing through Olyphant. 

I'll finish up this installment of my Scranton area travels with a view of the under-construction DL enginehouse on the site of the former D&H roundhouse in Green Ridge Yard in Scranton.

Date: 02/07/20 11:42
Author: Pattenburg

Nice series of images.

Date: 02/07/20 11:50
Author: CP8888

What is received/shipped in the refrigerator cars?
Cold storage warehouse somewhere.......

Date: 02/07/20 12:23
Author: RGTower

Nice series.

M1bPRR would have been proud.

I notice a lack of antenna hardware on all the locomotives. Does R&N and DLRR run without PTC on their mainlines? Do they operate under a exemption from the FRA?

Date: 02/08/20 11:30
Author: OCtrainguy

A good day well spent with a lot of variety!  Enjoyed your photos and videos. 

Date: 02/08/20 14:48
Author: JUTower

RGTower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice series.
>
> M1bPRR would have been proud.
>
> I notice a lack of antenna hardware on all the
> locomotives. Does R&N and DLRR run without PTC on
> their mainlines? Do they operate under a exemption
> from the FRA?

PTC is required when gross tonnage is over 5 million tons annually and PIH/TIH are handled, or regularly scheduled passenger service is operated. Some NS lines do not require PTC (Southern Tier west of Binghamton) for this reason. So, the smaller railroads won’t need PTC except where they operate over tracks rights over PTC main lines, and either the Class 1 requires it or if the train is traveling more than 20 miles from its initial terminal.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/08/20 15:33

RGTower Wrote:
> Nice series.
>
> M1bPRR would have been proud.
>
> I notice a lack of antenna hardware on all the
> locomotives. Does R&N and DLRR run without PTC on
> their mainlines? Do they operate under a exemption
> from the FRA?

I think a lot of folks miss Ed K's meanderings around northeast PA.

Date: 02/08/20 22:24
Author: dcmkris

sscannella Wrote:
> I think a lot of folks miss Ed K's meanderings
> around northeast PA.

This is very true was just thinking of him last week.

Bet he's raising hell with all his train horns up in heaven.

Kris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1461 seconds