Home Open Account Help 181 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > union sues railroad over attendence policy

Date: 02/16/20 07:43
union sues railroad over attendence policy
Author: green

Date: 02/16/20 11:23
Re: union sues railroad over attendence policy
Author: dcfbalcoS1

And we still don't know what the U P wants to do other than make a change. What is the change ??

Date: 02/16/20 12:12
Author: DevalDragon

Hopefully posting this on 2 different boards will help us get that answer.

Date: 02/16/20 12:40
Author: engineerinvirginia

NO info on the change but if it's like CSX it's Draconian....meaning you WILL NOT mark off or you will die! And we did fight as well, but the arbitrator ruled that attendance policy IS a policy and not an agreement matter, even if signed agreements are more liberal. The arbiter was tarred and feathered but that did not change anything. 

Date: 02/16/20 13:18
Author: Heath_Tower

As someone who is subject to a points system at my place of employment, I'd suggest to anyone to fight this
system tooth and nail if possible. BTW, the system I'm under predates "MAGA" by 25 years, so it wasn't thought up
recently.

Point systems are very hard on new employees, especially those with families. I've seen good people with small children at home
lose their jobs by "pointing out" after a row of family issues, then getting caught in traffic, and arriving late. Then there's a year of appeals via
the Union to get your job back.

Over the years the Company has lessened the amount of points allowed from 24 to 14, making it more of a risk of getting fired.
I have a stellar attendance record, but I was once nearly fired since the Kronos system blew up my points  count to 30, thankfully management
knew it was a system/software issue...these are some of the risks of the point regime....

I've read the comments on the Western Board and the Class-1's  point system sounds very Medieval in it's application...

Date: 02/16/20 19:14
Author: RGTower

Family
Medical
Leave
Act

Date: 02/16/20 20:18
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

KRONOS sucks...use tha work and it has failed at times.

Date: 02/16/20 22:25
Author: nsrlink

RGTower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Family
> Medical
> Leave
> Act

Yeah well, THEY used to send that stuff automatically in the mail if you were off 2 or 3 days & the RR said to get it so you wouldn't run afoul of their attendance police.  Now, A LOT of people have it & the RRs try to cook up  different schemes to restrict (or b!tch about) the use of it.... ...after they told people to sign up for it & sent the paperwork over the years.  They're still trying to throw stuff at the wall to restrict the use of it & see what sticks.  Recall that a case went to the SCOTUS because RRs thought federal law didn't apply to them (at the time) & forced employees to exhaust all paid leave before using FMLA. 

Further all the RRs have been less flexible with regard to time off & have thousands of people laid off, & deny most requests to be off.  They don't seem to give a damn about their employees, only profits & their OR.  Prick RRs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/20 22:27 by nsrlink.

Date: 02/17/20 06:59
Author: Heath_Tower

RGTower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Family
> Medical
> Leave
> Act

True. However the screws have tightened on that, too....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0527 seconds