Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX piles one up in East Chicago IN

Date: 02/26/20 21:51
CSX piles one up in East Chicago IN
Author: DevalDragon

Pretty spectacular for such a small number of cars derailed...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/02/26/train-hauling-crude-oil-derails-in-east-chicago-indiana/amp/

Unfortunately the cleanup efforts will literally block downtown East Chicago at Chicago and Euclid, both of which are main arteries for the town.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/20 21:54 by DevalDragon.

Date: 02/27/20 04:42
Re: CSX piles one up in East Chicago IN
Author: hoghead1978

Thank goodness there wasn't any spillage. Speed limit there is 40 MPH max, but by the looks of it, the train was running slower than that speed.

Date: 02/27/20 06:10
Author: dispr

Actually, the CSX (aka - B&OCT) tracks don't cross Chicago Avenue. Euclid Avenue and Kennedy Avenue were likely blocked, along with the north/south IHB (ex-NYC) line from Indiana Harbor to Gibson and beyond and the CN (ex-EJE) East Chicago line. Downtown East Chicago is down by Indianapolis Blvd. I think the overpass visible in the video is the relatively new Railroad Avenue overpass.

Date: 02/27/20 07:57
Author: DevalDragon

The CSX tracks don't cross Chicago Ave, but the authorities had it shut down for safety concerns making for a miserable commute.

Date: 02/27/20 08:17
Author: colehour

The East Chicago Fire Department has a tank car on property on McShane Drive, presumably for training purposes.

Both Union Tank Car and General American Tank Car had plants in East Chicago. Both are now closed. Perhaps the tank car was donated by one of these firms.

Date: 02/28/20 00:37
Author: Seventyfive

Go to nwitimes.com for a story with fourteen photos taken of the derailment.
At this late hour, there is no way I will get the link to post for me.

Chicago Ave. at Huish Ave. tells me they are right across the plant at Cal Tower.
I hope some of you in the area can check it out, post some photos and
advise us about detours you hear of.

Friday morning ... The story is no longer on their front page, but enter "train derails"
in their search bar and a link to the story and photos should appear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/20 09:45 by Seventyfive.

Date: 02/28/20 07:54

Had this happened a few blocks to the west at the Calumet Tower (RIP) interlocking plant, it would have caused some problems for the IHB, which, as I recall, has a lot of traffic on that line. 

On a side note: several years ago I decided to check out some businesses served by rail just west of Euclid and north of the CSX tracks. I saw a loco with a slug  sitting in front of one building. I don't know if it was still operable or just stored there. If one is interested and it can be done safely, it might be something to check out. 

PS: I don't live in the Region now.

Date: 02/28/20 13:15
Author: Typhoon

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had this happened a few blocks to the west at the
> Calumet Tower (RIP) interlocking plant, it would
> have caused some problems for the IHB, which, as I
> recall, has a lot of traffic on that line. 

Calumet Tower was were the derailment happened, and caused quite a bit of issues for the IHB.

Date: 02/28/20 13:55

Typhoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Calumet Tower was were the derailment happened,
> and caused quite a bit of issues for the IHB.

Thanks for your post. I thought that the derailment was further east and did not impede the IHB traffic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/20 13:56 by colehour.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds