Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > How Do Hostlers Select Units For Assembling An Engine Consist?

Date: 03/19/20 00:08
How Do Hostlers Select Units For Assembling An Engine Consist?
Author: krm152

Date: 03/20/20 02:25
Re: How Do Hostlers Select Units For Assembling An Engine Consist
Author: engineerinvirginia

They do as instructed 

Date: 03/20/20 05:41
Author: Baxtersta

The major railroads have a motive power unitlzation "desk" that asigns units system wide.  

Date: 03/20/20 08:37
Author: WrongMain

The Power Gods tell them what to do...

Date: 03/20/20 10:32
Author: Foamductor

At least one class one has instructions that a trip-optimizer or leader equipped locomotive must lead when one is available in the assigned consist. 

Date: 03/20/20 11:21
Author: Notch7

I worked as an outside hostler in a couple of small shops.  Sometimes the trains or yard jobs had an assigned engine or engines. Sometimes the general yardmaster would tell me how many engines and a specific type for a train.  For a heavy long haul local I might be told to line up three small Geeps.  I would pick from what I had in the shop.  Sometimes I might have to line up a "pedal" engine to go to an outlying assignment without a fireman.  A "pedal" engine was one with an operable deadman pedal.  I picked one out.  Later on we had to pick bi-directional long hood forward engines for some single engine outlying assignments.  In all cases you notified yardmasters, train order operators, and dispatchers of the engines you assigned.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds