Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sumter, SC and Lane, SC

Date: 04/02/20 08:48
Sumter, SC and Lane, SC
Author: RiverLineProductions

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could provide information about CSX operations in the Sumter, SC, and Lane, SC areas. What symbols originate/pass through these two towns, and what does a typical day look like? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Date: 04/02/20 09:00
Re: Sumter, SC and Lane, SC
Author: dschlegel

25 years ago the Air Force used to run from Shaw AFB to Cane Savannah just west of Sumter daily to swap empty for loaded tank cars of jet fuel, I assume this is still a regular occurrence but I’m not sure of the timing. Back then they were using end can GE switchers. I worked the flight line on night shift and on occasion got a cab ride during the day.

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/02/20 11:46
Author: doc1057

I have heard that the AF is pleanning to truck the fuel in, but don't know if that has happened yet.
Not sure about what operates on the line, but traffic isn't heavy. I believe that there is still some coal/MTY movement. Of course, at Lane you have the ex-ACL main which is an important CSX corridor. Sumter used to be served by SAL and SOU branch lines and had several radiating ACL secondary main and branch lines. Most has been abandoned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/20 13:11 by doc1057.

Date: 04/03/20 09:51
Author: BarstowRiff

The Air Force stopped using rail at Shaw AFB about two years ago. Its all trucked in now.  Don't know the dispo on the two GE 80 tonners (1644 and 1671) which were MU'd to move the loaded tank cars.

Date: 04/03/20 09:54
Author: BarstowRiff

Last day of rail operation at Shaw AFB was actually January 25, 2017.

Date: 04/03/20 13:48
Author: dschlegel

That’s a shame that Shaw switched to trucking in JP8. We used to get about ten tank cars a day in the mid 90’s. And that was with usually one of our four squadrons (77FS, 78FS, 79FS, and 55GS) deployed almost always to the Middle East.

I know the 78th was deactivated around 2000 (damned shame too, this was my squadron and we won several ACC annual awards through the mid 90’s), but I thought the overall aircraft count and ops tempo had remained.

Thanks for the update!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/03/20 17:11
Author: cockaboose

Sumter, SC

F717 Sumter to Orangeburg and return 
F766 Sumter area switcher
F759 Holly Hill to Sumter and return
F772 Cayce to Sumter and return
F771 Florence to Sumter and return

Cross loads and empties pretty much daily and an occasional Wateree, Cope or Middleton loads/empties. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/20 17:13 by cockaboose.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds