Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Multiple format meet on the FEC

Date: 04/04/20 12:00
Multiple format meet on the FEC
Author: rbenko

Trains 101 (Hot southbound intermodal) and 222 (northbound intermodal/pea rock) usually trundle past "MH" Tower South (FEC Milepost 300, West Palm Beach, FL) anywhere between 7-8pm.  Very occasionally the two meet in downtown West Palm Beach.  Very rarely I'm actually ready with camera in hand to record said event.

Last Tuesday, March 31st was such an occasion.  Having already ventured out and photographed train 109 in the morning (Click here for thread), I was eager to see if I can catch one or both trains in the fading light.  So with camera and cell phone in hand, at 7:15pm I stepped out onto MH tower south's strategically positioned balcony to await one or both trains.

At 7:30, just as I was losing hope of getting a decent photograph of either train, I noticed 222's headlight in the distance.  Moments later, I heard a faint growl and the distant ring of crossing gates to the north.  Sweet - a meet!  

First to appear is train 101, seen here crossing Okeechobee Blvd with the ubiquitous GE-LNG set in the lead:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/20 12:15 by rbenko.

Date: 04/04/20 12:00
Re: Multiple format meet on the FEC

Swinging south for a going away shot, you can see 222's headlight in the distance:

Date: 04/04/20 12:01

Quickly changing lenses to my 70-210 zoom, I grabbed a couple of shots of the meet:

Date: 04/04/20 12:02

After the last shot, I decided to shoot a bit of video:

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/04/20 12:02

Thanks for viewing.

Rob Benkovitz
West Palm Beach, FL

Date: 04/04/20 14:33
Author: srman

That's one heck of view that you've there buddy and you don't even have to leave your place. Great shots and video!

Date: 04/04/20 14:42
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice photos of the meet and I enjoyed the video.
John

Date: 04/04/20 16:23
Author: Gonut1

Nice! Socially distanced too!
Thankls.
Go

Date: 04/05/20 17:45
Author: DJ-12

Nice!

Date: 04/06/20 02:52
Author: howeld

The new webcam at Fort Lauderdale on the New River Bridge will help you be ready for NB trains.

Here’s the link for anyone who was unaware of the camera. Of corse Brightline shut down before I found it.

https://youtu. be/4YFHDjig1hc

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/06/20 07:52

That's cool!  (BTW - there is a space in the link above - you'll need to delete it to use the link).  Looks like it is mounted at the Pirate Republic Seafood restaurant.

This is going to be a pretty boring camera to watch until the pandemic recedes, and Brightline starts back up again.  Probably won't see much boat traffic either.

Additionally, FEC has been regularly annulling 202, a mid-afternoon northbound.  So in daylight you'll have 121 around 7-8am, 109 around 10-11am, and 222 between 6-7pm - that's pretty much it.  Of course they run a bunch at night, so that should be entertaining.

Thanks for posting the link!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0881 seconds