Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Suffolk, VA SAL/former VGN grade at Bowers Hill, 2011.

Date: 04/19/20 16:52
Suffolk, VA SAL/former VGN grade at Bowers Hill, 2011.
Author: GN416

In the fall of 2011 I was visiting family in Chesapeake area.  Here's some of my findings.

1. The Old grade of the "Virginian" is still visible in the woods at Bowers Hill, VA. 

2. The old SEABOARD Depot at Suffolk, VA. 

3. Bay Window Crummy at the Suffolk, VA SAL Depot. 

It was a deary day, but great to find some history. 

Paul 

Paul O'Neil
Edmonton, AB

Date: 04/19/20 17:30
Re: Suffolk, VA SAL/former VGN grade at Bowers Hill, 2011.
Author: refarkas

Great catches. Thanks for sharing them.
Bob

Date: 04/19/20 20:27
Author: Asheville_G

Paul,

The Virginian you see in your photos here is the same you shot the local on. East of Bowers Hill it’s still in place to serve an industrial park.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/20/20 09:37
Author: boejoe

Interesting how the steps on the far side of the bay window caboose were relocated to the near side to make easier access to the rear platform.  And a NS/NW caboose alongside a former Seaboard (CSX) station is better than none at all.

Date: 04/20/20 10:21
Author: GN416

Just found your reply on the other post!  It is great that VGN track is still in place and used.  

There are many gems in the Hampton Roads region.  Next time I head there, I hope to catch the C&A short line. 

Paul

Edmonton, AB

Paul O'Neil
Edmonton, AB

Date: 04/21/20 08:54
Author: arelpy

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting how the steps on the far side of the bay window caboose were relocated to the near side to make easier access to the rear platform. 
> And a NS/NW caboose alongside a former Seaboard (CSX) station is better than none at all.

Actually, an NW caboose is at home there, as the Suffolk station was a joint station, serving both the VGN and SAL.
The now-removed VGN main ran along the north side of the station, while the SAL (CSX) main continues to run along the south side of the station building.
There is an excellent museum inside the station, with a fine HO layout accurately depicting Suffolk and its five historic rail lines - SAL, ACL, N&W, VGN, and SOU/A&D/NF&D.
Here's a link to the Station Museum's website:  https://www.suffolktrainstation.com/history.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/20 08:55 by arelpy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds