Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS oil trains question

Date: 05/20/20 15:43
NS oil trains question
Author: dschlegel

I heard from two different sources that NS lost a contract to haul crude to New Jersey and that CSX was taking over.

I had heard it was effective this past Saturday, as well as last week sometime.

I just saw an eastbound oil train, I assume 66Z headed through Lyons, PA on the Reading line (1267 placards and PPRX reporting marks on the tank cars). The leaders were NS 1011 and 1012, sort of neat to see consecutive numbered locomotives!!

I guess the question is, did NS lose the crude contract and if so when is it effective?

Thanks,
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/20/20 16:04
Re: NS oil trains question
Author: engineerinvirginia

Dunno, but if csx is getting it, it probably wont be on my line.....

Date: 05/20/20 16:21
Author: conductor924

I don't remember symbols for it on csx but heard chicago line to river sub into nj but never know.

Date: 05/20/20 16:35
Author: Lackawanna484

The train might have originated before the switch over date.

Or, the original info may be incorrect.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/20/20 17:15
Author: green

yes thats what guys are hearing at csx, contract goes to philips petrolium, where ever that is

Date: 05/20/20 17:26
Author: OHRY

It's no joke, but not sure when the changeover date is. This will mean no more Linden trains on the Reading Line.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/20/20 18:17
Author: Typhoon

The trains should start running on CSX this week.

Date: 05/20/20 18:38
Author: PRR_4859

Will CSXT be able to offer a shorter transit time with no mountain range to cross?

Date: 05/20/20 19:03

It's a big refinery, capacity of 285,000 barrels daily. Set up for rail access, and has its own wharf for imported oil. If it received crude only via rail, which it doesn't currently, that would be about 3.5 unit trains daily. I don't know if they could actually handle that much by rail in their own cribs.

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/oil/032320-refinery-news-phillips-66-cuts-rates-at-bayway-refinery-as-gasoline-cracks-fall-source

Date: 05/21/20 02:39
Author: NYSW252

CSX now has the contract.  A few NS 66Z oil trains were still en route. The CSX oil trains will operate via Selkirk and the River Subdivision to Port Newark, NJ. From there, Conrail will  move the trains to Linden, NJ via Carteret.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/20 02:41 by NYSW252.

Date: 05/21/20 05:42

The Garden State secondary former Chemical Coast also serves the Motiva refinery a few miles south.

CSX and NS have each had the contract there, too.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/21/20 06:04
Author: dschlegel

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/21/20 11:11
Author: kscessnadriver

Is this the same oil train that NS just switched the route it was using about 6 weeks ago?

Date: 05/21/20 16:17
Author: toledopatch

kscessnadriver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this the same oil train that NS just switched
> the route it was using about 6 weeks ago?

One of them. NS still has the oil move to Reybold, Del., if not other destinations, and ethanol traffic too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.6473 seconds