Home Open Account Help 174 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > More Delaware Lackawanna from Tuesday 5/12

Date: 05/22/20 17:40
More Delaware Lackawanna from Tuesday 5/12
Author: sscannella

Playing catch-up with some trips from last week.  On Tuesday 5/12, I arrived at Scranton at exactly 8:30, just as the DL's PO74 crew was climbing on their power outside of Bridge 60 tower.  Just as I was taking this first picture, I hear a horn blow from down below on the former D&H main, and hear the distinctive sound of Alcos and see exhaust coming from down below.   I got a quick look and saw four 4-axles and a string of sand hoppers behind them, so I headed to the foot bridge at the south side of the old D&H yard in Green Ridge where I captured the SC-7 with a max load of 32 sand hoppers for Carbondale (each 4 axle on the DL is rated for eight loaded cars on both the Carbondale and Pocono grades).

Once I was sure they cleared Green Ridge, I made a run to Olyphant to catch them crossing the Lackawanna River on their way north.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/20 19:17 by sscannella.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/22/20 17:45
Re: More Delaware Lackawanna from Tuesday 5/12

After Olyphant it was off to Archbald, where they really start digging into the grade up to Carbondale.

Date: 05/22/20 17:48
Author: NS4271

Great photos.
I need to get up there sometime.
Bruce

Date: 05/22/20 17:53

My next locale for the SC7 was the Meredith St overpass at the south end of Carbondale.  I would have stayed with them longer, but they stopped to rearrange cars and power before proceeding through town and to the Linde sand facility on the site of the D&H's former Carbondale yard.  I had the pooch with me again, and needed to run him back to my mom's house to drop off (she was waiting to take him for a walk).

I figured I'd head east along the former DL&W main (the DL's Pocono Main).  First stop was Moscow, where I soon learned that they were out of Scranton but had not made it through Moscow yet.   SO I doubled back and hear them talking to maintainers who had just cleared up on the siding between Cobb and Winton (in the vicinity of the I-84/380 bridge at the boarder of Dunmore and Roaring Brook Township).   That gave me time to set up at the Rt. 435 overpass where after a few minutes wait the PO-74 came through with a pair of 6 axles and a pair of 4 axles and a messy mix of 34 cars which were going to need to be switched around somewhere along the line, probably at Tobyhanna.

Date: 05/22/20 18:01

Due to trackwork and slow orders, more so than the tonnage of the 34 loads, the train was only making 15 - 20 MPH in many areas which made an easy game of leap-frog.  My next locations were DALE (the east end of the siding by Moscow station.), then Lehigh Road, which is the steepest part of the grade up to the Pocono plateau.

Date: 05/22/20 18:06

Some more from Lehigh Road and then a view from across Snag Pond.

Date: 05/22/20 18:13

As anticipated, the PO74 stopped at Tobyhanna, to switch the propane dealer there and rearrange the hodge-podge of cars they received in interchange from the NS.   I decided to call it quits for a while there, so it was off for lunch and a few of the usual chores around my mother's house before heading back out later in the afternoon.

I knew the Reading and Northern PISB/SBPI job was still out working their Scranton customers in the Stauffer Industrial Park, but before heading over there I caught the SC7 returning light to Scranton climbing the Strawberry connector between the old D&H main and the old Lackawanna Diamond Branch.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/20 18:26 by sscannella.

Date: 05/22/20 18:19

Then it was off to the industrial park, where the Reading and Northern was finishing up their work for the day and prepping to head back to Pittston via Taylor Yard.  This job has been arriving at Taylor to pass through pretty consistently around 08:30 lately, and usually finishes up and heads back between 3:00 and 4:30 PM

Date: 05/22/20 18:23
Author: srman

Man that is some fantastic coverage!

Date: 05/22/20 18:26

One final shot from the day of PISB coming through NS's Taylor Yard on 17 track on their way back to their line and eventually Pittston Yard.   

I'll finish up this installment with a photo I took on the drive back from the PO74 chase, from the I-84/380 bridges on the Dunmore / Roaring Brook township boarder.  These bridges, which cross over Roaring Brook and the former DL's Lackawanna Main Line, as well as the abandoned Erie Wyoming Division, are over 40 years old and are soon to be replaced by a PennDOT contractor.  The contractor decided to redeck the long-abandoned Erie bridge over Roaring Brook and the DL line to provide access to the work site.  When construction is completed in a couple years, the bridge and decking will become part of a planned rail-trail in the area.

Date: 05/22/20 18:46
Author: perklocal

Another set of outstanding images and videos. Thanks for sharing.  I especially like the videos of that Sand Train. Wow !

Date: 05/22/20 18:59
Author: Gonut1

Sam,
Wow! What a lot of video and photos! I need to find time to look closer.
That last image and info is extremely interesting. Who would ever have thought???
Go

Date: 05/22/20 22:21
Author: boejoe

As always, a great collection of photos Sam.  What"s the latest progress with the new engine house for the D-L in North Scranton?   I haven't seen any recent photos - but then, maybe I missed them.

Date: 05/23/20 17:55
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!  Thanks for posting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0603 seconds