Home Open Account Help 168 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > In the still of the night

Date: 06/20/20 06:48
In the still of the night
Author: thebluecomet

During the course of my nightly route for work, I sometimes pass through the town of Wernersville, PA.  Typically it is around 3am when I go by the former Reading passenger station, so obviously its too dark for photos.  Last night I gave it a try anyway.  Funny, I'm shooting in the dark on the longest day of the year, go figure.  The station was built in 1927 and saw its last customer in 1963. Wernersville is a few miles west of Reading on the NS main between Reading and Harrisburg.  The front of the station faces a big empty parking lot leftover from when the lot was used by an auto dealership(now closed).  Trackside it is rather tight with the platform canopy frame (no roofing) blocking the station.

Date: 06/20/20 07:18
Re: In the still of the night
Author: dschlegel

Neat stuff! When you are there and study the construction of the station and canopies you can tell the Reading built that station to last!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/20/20 08:11
Author: King_Coal

Looks like it could be ready for the next passenger train to arrive at any time. Great shape. THanks for sharing.

Date: 06/20/20 09:17
Author: boejoe

Glad to see a replica of the original sign displayed there.

Date: 06/20/20 18:09
Author: TamaquaTim

Last March we finally got inside the Station and it's in fantastis condition. Also, we purchased several t-shirts
to support the upkeep of the station. The shirt has a drawing of the Hotel accross the street on the sleave of the shirt which
was a nice touch.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0376 seconds