Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Reading & Norhern OCS train with F9A in the lead.

Date: 07/04/20 06:50
Reading & Norhern OCS train with F9A in the lead.
Author: jim6300loco

Yesterday the Reading & Northern ran an OCS train from Reading to Jim Thorpe using the recently acquired from NS F9A and B units.Today they run from Jim Thorpe to Pittston, PA. Sunday return to Reading.
pic1 At Leesport, PA.
pic2 At Drehersville, PA.
pic 3 At Tamaqua, PA ( Future homestation for Lehigh Gorge scenic trains instead of Jim thorpe.

Date: 07/04/20 07:12
Re: Reading & Norhern OCS train with F9A in the lead.
Author: dschlegel

I think shot two is my favorite!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/04/20 07:56
Re: Reading & Northern OCS train with F9A in the lead.
Author: ClubCar

I like all the photos as those F units really look good.  I wish them nothing but the best when they operate their passenger trains this year and hopefully it will be very successful.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/04/20 08:18
Author: PRR1361

Is that official about Tamaqua replacing Jim Thorpe for Lehigh Gorge ops, or a bargaing ploy?

Date: 07/04/20 08:42
Author: pdt

My understanding, and i cud be wrong, is that some excursion trains ran from Tamaqua during the hiatus of trains from Jim Thorpe last december.  I seem to remember hearing thst....idk.

Seems Tamaqua has been trying to get the RBMN to serve there to help build their tourist industry.  Once a prominent coal town, its now part of the Northeast rust belt. and coming back as an artsy fartsy destination.   Its no where close to the tourist trap that Jum Thorpe is, tho.   I think the plan is to at least have the trains that pass thru Tamaqua, stop there.....and if things totally break down in Jim Thorpe...use Tamaqua as an excussion base.

Date: 07/04/20 09:07
Author: boejoe

I understand a new platform is being built at Tamaqua and the photo of the OCS train at the station shows evidence of construction.  It's a venture of the town with subsidy from the railroad, IIRC.
I've heard that the dispute between Jim Thorpe and the R&N is not completely settled.

Date: 07/04/20 09:07
Author: King_Coal

Tamaqua looks amazingly rural. Glad they restored the depot.What's left of the yard? Thanks for sharing.

Date: 07/04/20 09:16

R&N still has some of the yard where they marshall Anthracite coal trains there. It's amazing that R&N has brought back Anthracite coal to export to many different countries via port of Baltimore.

Date: 07/04/20 09:22
Author: pedrop

Beautiful units!

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 07/04/20 13:31

Below is a link to the R&N web site and a letter sent to the Borough Council of Jim Thorpe.

https://www.rbmnrr.com/happenings/2020/5/4/rbmn-update-regarding-passenger-trains-tofrom-jim-thorpe

Date: 07/04/20 17:41
Author: OCtrainguy

The R&N is running four dinner trains using their RDC cars this year to a restaurant in Tamaqua.

https://www.rbmnrr-passenger.com/schedule

Jim Thorpe has already announced cancellation of their popular fall fesitvals this October.  The R&N would also run trips to Jim Thorpe from Outer Station and Port Clinton which usually were sold out.  With the fall festival being cancelled, I do wonder if those trains will run.

The paint scheme looks good on the F units.  Would love to catch them on the move.  

Date: 07/04/20 19:06
Author: Gonut1

Port of Baltimore? It is my understanding the foreign Anthracite goes to Morrisville and is shipped out of the former USS Fairless Works. Do they also ship via Baltimore and by what rouitng?
Thanks for any clarification.
As for Tamaqua being the base for Lehigh Gorge trips, that is not very practical, doable, but not practical. that would add a train ride of about 15 (+ or -) miles just to reach and cross the new bridge into the gorge, even more if there were any intention to stop at Jim Thorpe including a run-around. In the past from Jim Thorpe you go maybe a mile or two and your'e into the scenic gorge. The typical family wouldn't likely accept the additional hour from Tamaqua to the gorge. Railfans would be in their glory with the Tamaqua Tunnel and the Hometown Trestle added to the trip, but the family with little kids, probably not so. It is a shame the boneheaded officials in Jim Thorpe can't see the light. What R&N wants is an absolute gaurantee that they will never need to pay; back, current or future "entertainmet taxes. Is that too hard for their lawyers to draw up the paperwork and get it signed? Apparently so.
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0549 seconds