Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Covington, KY traffic question

Date: 07/11/20 18:48
CSX Covington, KY traffic question
Author: inCHI

I'm staying at a hotel in Covington for a night with a view of CSX crossing the River into Cincinatti. I'm just figuring out what the routes are, and if I understand correctly, the mainline at that location has traffic from: the LCL Sub, the CC Sub, and the line to Russell, KY. What is the traffic per day of those routes? I was looking at Cincyrail.com and it has estimates for the line that seem to be pre-PSR and traffic loss. For example, are there really 12-16 trains/day on the line to Russell? I thought that quite a bit of traffic on that line used the Northern Sub west of Russell.

Thanks for any insight!

Date: 07/11/20 19:55
Re: CSX Covington, KY traffic question
Author: IU_Tower

The LCL & the CC split further south so you'll see the traffic for both subs in Covington, also the C&O to Russel splits off just south of the river. Unsure what the traffic on the CNOTP is these days. 

Date: 07/12/20 05:49
Author: Baxtersta

CNO&TP is busy as always. CC has very little traffic and the former C&O line to Russell has least of all.  LCL is predominately a southbound railroad most days when northbounds take the Lou & Ind to Seymour then go east on the Indaina Sub. 

Date: 07/12/20 14:10
Author: inCHI

Thanks. Got to the room at 4:15 pm and so far there have been two CSX northbounds across the bridge, the first was all racks with a few 60' Auto boxes mixed in; the second had 40 racks up front and 60 double stacks.

Date: 07/12/20 14:38
Author: SOUCF25

Baxtersta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CNO&TP is busy as always. CC has very little
> traffic and the former C&O line to Russell has
> least of all.  LCL is predominately a southbound
> railroad most days when northbounds take the Lou &
> Ind to Seymour then go east on the Indaina Sub. 

Is the L&I / Indiana Division route cleared for double-stacks?

Thanks,

Neil

Date: 07/12/20 16:14
Author: scraphauler

SOUCF25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Baxtersta Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > CNO&TP is busy as always. CC has very little
> > traffic and the former C&O line to Russell has
> > least of all.  LCL is predominately a
> southbound
> > railroad most days when northbounds take the Lou
> &
> > Ind to Seymour then go east on the Indaina
> Sub. 
>
> Is the L&I / Indiana Division route cleared for
> double-stacks?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

Yes.  BUT.  Coming off the Indiana Sub it's very difficult to access the Queensgate Ramp.  Essentially you have to run all the way to far north end of Queensgate then shove back down into ramp (or have ramp job meet you).  Either way it's a long drawn out process and has only been done a couple times with poor results. 

Date: 07/12/20 19:34
Author: Baxtersta

Yes. But Q202 (train number that replaced Q142) has been going LCL consistently.  

Date: 07/12/20 20:04
Author: tq-07fan

I drive a bus route that makes a circle in downtown Cincinnati but also passes under the Cincinnati side of the C&O Bridge. I drive it on Wednesday morning and Monday and Tuesday afternoons. Obviously I am not around to see every train but traffic seems more busy coming across the Ohio River Bridge in the afternoon then during the mid-day and mornings. I've caught trains in both directions going to and from Russel in the evening at KC Junction which is where the C & O and L & N split in Covington just a little south of where you are. I have also caught one of the southbounds toward Corbin in the evening as well. We are quite fortunate to have a lot of traffic around the Cincinnati area. 

If you get a chance tomorrow afternoon and get on the bus before 5:10 pm find the Rt 85 and take ride. Some good railway history can be seen from the 21 minute circle trip, plus there's some good scenery on the sidewalks in downtown Cincinnati too.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds