Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Newer Locomotive at Arden, PA.

Date: 07/12/20 06:02
Newer Locomotive at Arden, PA.
Author: jmbreitigan

Washington Penn Plastics uses plastic pellets which are delivered in covered hoppers on M-W-F. The plant is located in Arden, PA. very close to the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. I volunteer at the museum as a trolley operator. I live pretty close and have taken pictures of the local that comes out on the ex PRR Chartiers Branch to service the plant. Most of the time GP 10's in Maroon and Gray paint were the order of the day. I heard recently that the old power has been replaced. So this past Friday I went to the PA Trolley Museum to see what was going on. The local usually arrives close to noon so at this time of the year you are dealing with the high sun if it is out. Friday was bright and sunny. I found the local was already there and to my surprise I saw #2161 a GP38-2 in new G&W paint. Looks like it has an A/C unit on the cab roof. The crews have to be happy about that.

1. At  the Museum road crossing the local is shoving loaded hoppers to the plant.

2. Looking down towards the plant. That is an old PRR bridge the locomotive is on.

3. The local on the way back after spotting the hoppers at the plant. The old reefers and the Westinghouse/Baldwin B-73 (built 1930) belong to the PA Trolley Museum. The B-73 still runs and It came from ARMCO Steel Corp. in Butler, PA.

One more photo.................

Date: 07/12/20 06:10
Re: Newer Locomotive at Arden, PA.
Author: jmbreitigan

4. Going away shot of the #2161. To the right and mostly obscured by trees you may be able to see part of one of several empty hoppers on a short siding that the local will take back to the small yard in McKees Rocks, PA. Not real sure about this. Corrections are welcome. The track ends not too far past the plant. So the local will leave the loaded hoppers back at the siding and go pull out the empties and then shove the loaded ones to the plant.

Thanks for looking,
John Breitigan
Washington, PA.

Date: 07/12/20 09:26
Author: train544

Hi
Very nice catch of the new loco doing its local job
Tom Boylan

Date: 07/12/20 10:28
Author: refarkas

Super set.
Bob

Date: 07/12/20 18:12
Author: birdman

Very nice John.

Date: 07/16/20 02:28
Author: NSSpike

Nice set of photos of clean looking unit John!!
Phil

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2001 seconds